Do Arnica Montana and Bromelain Really Work for Healing After Surgery?

I see these things recomended as gospel post surgery all of the time, yet I know the supplement industry is not regulated and some people actually do themselves actual harm with supplements. What say the surgeons?

Hello! Thank you for your question! The recommendations for the use of these homeopathic medications are surgeon preference. I typically suggest the use of Arnica Montana to decrease swelling and bruising. It is an herbal medication that is propagated from the seeds of an herb. I, as well as my patients, have seen some benefit with the treatment in the postoperative period. Although there is little evidence to its effectiveness, I believe there is some benefit, and no harm. I recommend 4-5 tablets under the tongue 4x/day for 3-5 days prior and 5-7 days after the procedure. Hope that this helps! Best wishes!