Sun damaged skin: I have lots of sun damage on my arms.

There are irregular patches of brown from cumulative sun exposure. Is there anything out there that would reverse the damage?

Doctor Answers 6

Sun damaged skin: I have lots of sun damage on my arms.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your query. There are various other options available for removing tan like chemical peels, lasers like q switched Ndyag, microdermabrasion, etc. apart from these procedures regular home care is also needed in the form of proper sun block, skin whitening serums. A proper regime can be made after consultation with dermatologist. Hope it helps.

All The Best

India Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

Skin Resurfacing

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Thank you for your question. It is important that your practice sun protective techniques, including sun block application in the morning and before you go out in the sun, and wearing sun protective clothing. Laser skin resurfacing techniques, such as the chemical peel, can address un damage. Dermabrasion and microdermabrasion are applied to the top layers of skin to diminish blemishes and lines. I suggest you consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.Best wishes,

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 124 reviews

Sun Damaged Skin - How To Get Rid Of Brown Spots

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are a variety of laser and light treatments that produce the best results for most skin types exhibiting benign lesions ("brown patches") cause by too much sun exposure. A combination of BBL, micro laser peel or a fractionated laser devise provide an excellent treatment course. Any or all of these modalities could be used.  Depending on the extent of the damage, it could take several treatments, or perhaps just one.

Sun Damaged Skin

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi and thank you for your question! This is a very common concern and complaint. Our practice is in Los Angeles and most people in Southern California have this type of hyperpigmentation. We recommend IPL or BBL as a first line treatment for these areas. Sometimes, if texture improvement is desired, as well, we will also recommend a Halo hybrid fractional laser. Using sunscreen of SPF 30 or greater every day and reapply every 1.5 hours is an important part of them not getting worse and/or returning after treatment. Best, Dr. Grant Stevens

Grant Stevens, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 152 reviews

Sun damaged skin and arms

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sun damage is a problem for almost everyone.  Some of us get brown spots from the sun.  There are lightening creams that help and photo light therapy to help draw the color to the surface of the skin.  We use a laser called BBL (Broad Band Light) for face and body.  You can treat the spots individually and it may take a few sessions for the desired result.  We also have a laser called KTP (Varilite) which can treat individually too.  It's always a good idea to go to a Board Certified Physician for a consultation to see what you are the best candidate for.  We recommend a zinc based sunblock any time you go in the sun. Be well!

Michael R. Macdonald, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 18 reviews

Sun Damage- Lasers, IPL, Microneedling/PRP

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
There are many options for treatments on the chest including lasers, IPL, microneedling/prp. It is best to make a formal consultation with a cosmetic dermatologist who can come up with a long term solution. It will require a number of combinations and long term sunprotection. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 207 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.