When getting this procedure, is there any danger that the muscles would be damaged?

When getting this procedure, is there any danger that the muscles would be damaged or would it only melt the fat. I was going to have the area around my knees done.

#Sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Happy New Year!

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.  No compression garment required.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

D.r Schwartz

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. SculpSure does not target the muscles. SculpSure is only FDA approved for the belly and flanks at this time, however, a consultation with a board certified facial plastic surgeon should reveal your candidacy.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure

In Canada, SculpSure is presently indicated only for flanks and abdomen, but full body approval (i.e. hips, inner thighs, outer thighs, or even the arms) is pending and expected very soon.

I would be cautious and proceed at the discretion of your physician on the safety of treating the area around the knees.

SculpSure works by engaging a controlled hypothermic 1060 nm wavelength to the body, targeting the fatty tissue. This wavelength is penetrated deep into the subcutaneous fat cells causing your body to eliminate the fat cells with minimal absorption in the dermis allowing for a safe and effective treatments for all skin types. The heated wavelength establishes a controlled hyperthermic temperature of 42°C and 47°C causing an injury to the adipose, WITHOUT any damage to the dermal tissue. The damaged adipocytes will be absorbed and removed gradually by the body’s inflammatory process and the volume of fat in the treatment area will decrease. 

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculpsure and Muscle Tissue

SculpSure laser targets the fat and does not affect the surrounding tissue. You may feel an increased sensation on bony areas but it should not cause any negative side effects.

Sculpsure is safe

Sculpsure is safe and only penetrates a short distance, perhaps and inch or so into the fat tissues. It does not penetrate deep enough to damage the muscles unless there is very little fat.
Muscle has excellent circulation compared to fat and has a better ability to heal itself.

Sculpsure safety

No - there is no evidence damage to muscles or organs occurs.  Only the fat pad above the layer of tissue overlying the muscles and organs is affected.  Sculpsure indeed is very safe in this regard.

Can muscles be damaged with sculpsure?

The wavelength of the laser used in sculpsure does not penetrate deeply enough to damage muscle.
It only can penetrate the subcutaneous fat layer, where it melts the fat. In clinical studies there has never been a case of muscle damage as a result of a sculpture treatment.

SculpSure does not damage your muscles

Thank you for your question. The SculpSure procedure will not damage or pass through your muscles. It is a hyperthermic laser fat removal system that directs laser energy into your desired areas. The laser energy heats the fat cells and surrounding tissues which is only the subcutaneous fat layer. So it is not near the muscle region. The knee area has been treated before. Please schedule a consultation with a qualified physician as each area must have an approved amount of fat deposit.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

SculpSure does not damage muscle

SculpSure, the world's first FDA indicated laser for non surgical fat reduction of the abdomen and flanks targets fat tissue only and does not harm the skin, muscle, bone or internal organs.

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure Safey

Because two questions came in back to back, I will assume you are referring to Sculpsure.  There is no injury to underlying structures such as bone or muscle or internal organs.  The laser is "focused" to the fatty tissues underneath the skin.