Sculpsure: Most of the places performing this procedure are at Med spas. Is this safe?

I want to get this procedure, but since it is fairly new, not many plastic surgeons are using this. 

Med spas vs. Plastic Surgeons

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Personally, I think it best to see a board certified plastic surgeon who has all of the tools in his or her toolbox for assessing your needs. But as long as the provider is trained and experienced, you should be in safe hands. If you haven't already, go to Cynosure.com for a listing of the providers in your area. Best of luck.

#Sculpsure/#Body Contouring/ #Hi Definition Procedures

Sculpsure is a noninvasive 1060nm diode laser treatment that removes up to 25% of stubborn fat in the treated area in 25 minutes.It is FDA approved for the abdomen and flanks. It is safe if you get pregnant in the future.

The body contouring effects are seen in as quick as six weeks with final results at 12 weeks.

The results are permanent as long as you maintain your weight and health.

The laser targets and destroys the fat cells only which are then naturally removed from the body. Since the laser does not affect the skin or muscle it can be used on all skin colors and there has been no reported incidents of burns when treated by a properly trained physician. It is protective since it alternates heating and cooling.

It has four applicators that can be customized to treat the areas of stubborn fat.

If a second treatment is needed we wait at least six weeks and usually closer to 12.

If you notice lumps after (which I've never seen) I would recommend massage. You should also alert your surgeon.  No compression garment required.

There is no downtime and you can resume your normal activities right after the treatment. There may be some soreness in the area for a few days for which you can take ibuprofen or tylenol. A cold compress can also be used.

Sculpsure is not used for skin tightening however some of our patients have seen this. If more skin tightening is needed we have combined this with thermi or Ulthera for a complete treatment. Sculpsure is recommended for stubborn areas of fat that are not being lost by diet and exercise. It is not a weight loss treatment

Since I have both a coolsculpting and sculpsure I am working on protocols of utilizing both of these depending upon what areas need to be treated and the response to the treatment.

I have used sculpsure on other areas other than the abdomen with very good results.

I also use a Vectra 3D imaging system to try and show people what their treatment areas could look like.

Since Sculpsure outcomes can be based on technique and experience, please see a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes body contouring to see if Sculpsure or other treatments are available to meet your goals.

Take care,

Dr Schwartz

SculpSure

Thank you for your question. I suggest that you move forward and consult with a board certified facial plastic surgeon as plastic surgeons do perform the procedure now. Your provider should be knowledgeable and experienced, able to offer you customized advice and beautiful results.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

The physician is more important than the location

Safe and effective use of the SculpSure technology is far more dependent on the treating physician than the location. Many med spas have on location board certified physicians who can properly assess your suitability for SculpSure and safely perform it. Unfortunately there are also many med spas that do not have any board certified physician on site. Some have no physician presence at all. While noninvasive, SculpSure is still a medical and laser based therapy and should really be performed by or under the immediate supervision of a board certified physician.
Dr. C

Sculpsure at Med spas

SculpSure is an FDA approved device and is very safe. However, having said that, where you have treatment , and who performs it, can have an impact on your results. The most important issue is whether or not you are a good candidate for the treatment, and if it is the best option in your particular case. For this reason, going to a physician office, rather than a simple med spa, may be more appropriate. Having an experienced physician evaluate you, discuss all the relevant treatment options, and discussing your needs and goals, is invaluable in attaining a high quality result. If all a spa can offer is SculpSure, you may not be getting the optimum recommendations for treatment.

Craig Schwartz, DO
Leawood Vascular Surgeon

Safety vs effectiveness

Yes, it is a safe FDA approved device. The problem that I have is not the safety- as it has been demonstrated in multiple studies, but patient selection and expertise of the provider. Some Spas- clinics only have one device, and as a result they 'push' clients to that device. There are many methods to effectively remove unwanted fat non-surgically, including Coolsculpting and other devices. I personally think Sculpsure is great-less downtime than Coolsculpting, and it only takes 25 minutes. However, I also think that the best treatment is an individual assessment to see what device best fits YOU. This way you get the very best results. 

Safety for these devices are not an issue, realistic expectations and patient-device selection through experience and training is.

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist 
Brisbane 
Australia. 

SculpSure from a medispa

Thank you for your question. With any procedure you are considering, you should always make sure you’ve researched the practice offering it. Some medispa’s are multispecialty facilities like our practice where we offer medical dermatology, laser and cosmetic surgery. However, please make sure to visit those that are just spas. As long as the practice is certified, well skilled in the procedure and have been using it for a while, it will be fine. You can even look at before and after’s that they may have, to ensure you are happy with other patient’s results. All of our technicians and doctors that perform SculpSure are well trained in the procedure before they begin working with patients.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

SculpSure is safe

SculpSure is the world's first FDA indicated laser for non surgical treatment of subcutaneous fat in the abdomen 
and flanks.  It is very safe, quick and no down time.  It does utilize a laser, so an evaluation by a physician prior to treatment is necessary to guarantee the safety of the patient.  The location of the treatment doesn't matter, it is the person making the decision for the treatment that is important.  This does vary from state to state, do your research and make sure the facility you choose is certified, accredited and operated by responsible medical personnel.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

SculpSure Safety

Great question and one that illustrates an area of confusion and debate.  You are very likely to get a wide range of answers to this one, as each different state has its own interpretation of what constitutes a "medical" versus a "non-medical" procedure and what credentials are required to operate a given device.  I am not familiar with Virginia's regulations, however in the state of WA, where I practice, any device that delivers energy and affects a change in the tissue is considered a medical device and can only be operated by a "state-licensed health care provider (HCP)," which includes doctors, nurse practitioners, and physician's assistants.  Providers may delegate the procedure to a nurse or duly trained esthetician, provided that written protocols are in place and provided that the responsible HCP has examined the patient and determined that he/she is an appropriate candidate for the given procedure and that the HCP is physically present in the office, at least for the initial treatment.  In my opinion, this is all about patient safety and is therefore valid.  With that said, SculpSure is a very safe procedure and not subject to many of the concerns that other laser are, as it does not direct a beam with cutting energy.  I hope that answers your question.

SculpSure treatment

SculpSure is a laser. Laser treatments have varying regulations by state. For instance in the state of Maryland all laser procedures have to be performed by a MD, nurse practitioner or PA. There are many contraindications for the procedure, so the most important thing is to be evaluated prior to treatment to ensure the procedure is safe for you. 

Jennifer Parker Porter, MD, FACS
Bethesda Facial Plastic Surgeon