How best to remove a 12mm silastic chin implant & large screw 2 years post op without replacement? (photo)

I had an 8mm chin implant for 1.5 years, revised to a 12mm implant for the last 5 months. My smile is totally messed up from the first implant and I believe its only chance of recovering is with complete removal without replacement. What procedures, techniques, etc. should a doctor use to reduce complications from removing such a large chin implant that's been in for this long? Can the screw be removed with it all bent & headless? I know the model used. What's the black line in my xray? I'm 27

How best to remove a 12mm silastic chin implant & large screw 2 years post op without replacement?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak without the implant.  Having said that, this chin implant isn't an anatomical shape which at 12 mm's thick (projection) could give a non-anatomic projection to the chin.  The implant can be removed using a small, curved incision under the chin.  The screw might need to be cut at its base since the head is stripped.  That can be determined at the time of removal.  Your chin will be very weak once the implant is removed and any nerve weakness at this stage would most likely remain.  A dermal filler could be used to augment the chin however there might be some "ptosis" of the mentalis muscle, especially if one or both prior implants were placed through an incision inside the mouth (cuts the muscle attachment which can not be properly restored, once cut).

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  I don't find it necessary to use screws or sutures when placing cheek or chin implants.

Hope this helps.