CoolSculpting. Is there any other procedure out there that would reduce the knee area?

I went for a consultation for cool sculpting. I'm not happy with my lower thighs and knee areas. I am in my 60s but have reasonably toned legs. I was told that there is nothing much that can be done with reducing that area because of the way the fat is imbedded in my muscles and for them to be able to remove that fat, that area would have to have flabby fat. Is there any other procedure out there that would reduce the knee area? I would prefer to void an invasive procedure like liposuction.

Reducing the knee area, options?

CoolSculpting has FDA approval for fat reduction since 2010. CoolSculpting freezes the fat cells. Fat cells are more susceptible to damage by freezing than the other cells, (nerve, vessel, bone, etc.), around them. The fat cells die via a process called apoptosis, (programmed cell death). The number of fat cells are therefore reduced. This happens over a period of time, so the body is not overwhelmed with dead fat cells. The body will take these cells up, process them and excrete them, just as any other cell. The remnants are filtered through the liver, and then excreted eventually via stool. Knees can be a challenge with any modality. CoolSculpting has a specific applicator that has been used in this area with good results.  We have had good experience with the skin snapping back.  Each individual is different.  See an experienced CoolSculpting practice, they will determine if you are a candidate.  Moreover, would also consider seeing a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, who can give advice on both CoolSculpting and Liposuction.

Thank you for your question. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about different procedures, and find an option that works for you. An in-person assessment would be the best way to determine the best procedure for you. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Cool Sculpt around the Knee area

Although not a "usual" area for cool sculpt some offices including ours will do the cool mini on areas of the knee but usually requires multiple treatments and isn't ideal in off label areas. The Cool Smooth Pro for the outer thigh is really designed for the saddle bag area. I would seek a consultation at a reputable location who has high volume and a good provider. We have done over 2000 treatments to date any maybe 3-4 knees, not a common area at all to be honest. 

Robert Heck, MD, FACS
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting can help around the knees/distal anterior thigh

The knee area can be improved with Coolsculpting.  Whether it's called the distal thigh or knee, the fat there responds the same as it does in other areas.  More than one treatment may be needed in order to get the best result as is with any area treated with Coolsculpting.  Liposuction or Smartlipo also works great for that area.  Those treatments can be done in the office under local anesthesia.  It's always a good idea to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who offers all of those options to learn what treatment is best for you.  

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting and Legs

Coolsculpting is a fantastic procedure for the inner and outer thighs but an in office consultation is necessary to see where the fat is.  Depending on the location you may only be a candidate for liposuction.  Please consult an expert.  Best, Dr. Green

Options for fat around my knees

It is important to determine where exactly your fat is and determine the skin aspect of your concern.

Liposuction of the medial knees is the fastest and most efficient way to remove the fat here.  It is quick, done with a 2mm cannula the size of a pencil tip that removes the fat, can be done under local, with minimal downtime.  CoolSculpting can also be performed with the new Cool Mini applicator and can work well but may require 2 treatments for the same result.  

Concerning the skin, we are looking at both Ulthera and Thermi-Tight and how effective they are.  These technologies can also treat the skin and tissues above the knee in front.

So lots of great solutions with more and more options!

All my Best.

Dr Bengtson

Bradley Bengtson, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon