CoolSculpting vs liposuction?

Is cool sculpting as effective as liposuction?

CoolSculpting vs liposuction?

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting is nonsurgical and has minimal downtime. It eliminates 25% of fat cells from a treatment area each treatment round, and results take 9-12 weeks to show. Liposuction, on the other hand, is a surgical procedure. There is more downtime, however, the results are immediate and dramatic. If you are interested, I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation. This way, you can explain your concerns, learn more about the procedure, and determine if you are a good candidate. An in-person assessment is always best. Regards,

CoolSculpting vs liposuction?

Hi and thanks for your question. No, coolsculpting is not as effective as liposuction. Coolsculpting will remove about 20-25% of fat while liposuction (if performed by a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery) can result in an 75-80% improvement in selected areas.

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS, FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

CoolSculpting vs Liposuction

CoolSculpting is a great, non-invasive, and relatively easy way to reduce fat around the abdomen and thighs.  Typically, however, more dramatic effects can be achieved with Liposuction.  The important difference is that Liposuction is a much more invasive procedure.  Even though patients commonly have some tenderness and swelling after a CoolSculpting session, the procedure produces far less trauma and swelling than liposuction in most cases.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon

CoolSculpting for fat reduction vs. liposuction for fat removal

I have performed liposuction for more than 20 years and CoolSculpting for about six in my NYC practice.  Why would I start CoolSculpting if I do liposuction? Patients often want less of an invasive procedure and less down time.  Many of my patients who have had two treatments (usually two months apart) and even some who have had only one CoolSculpting session have had comparable results to liposuction but in general, liposuction is more effective per session as the physician manually removes the amount of fat they determine to be appropriate.  CoolSculpting reduces a fraction of the fat (a little more than 20%) by freezing and killing some of the fat cells and the body metabolizes those cells. There is greater fat reduction when the applicators are applied to multiple sites in the area that is being treated. 

Rarely liposuction is performed a second time to touch up some areas but it is considered a one time procedure and CoolSculpting should be considered as possibly requiring two or even three treatments depending on the amount of fat that is being reduced.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Hello and thanks for your question.

In my opinion, liposuction will always give the best result, but that is because I have more control over how much liposuction I do in any session, and how I change the angle and placement of my instruments. Coolsculpting cannot be quite that defined, particularly in 1 go, and is dependant partly of the shape of the fact pocket as felt from the exterior.

So, that said, these are both excellent options for treating fat. They both have advantages and disadvantages. What works for you may not be suitable for another, and what your body needs, or what worries you, may not be suitable for another.

This really is an example of a patient-by-patient situation. And I suggest you always approach appropriately qualified and specialised Plastic Surgeons to help you assess.
In my practice in Sydney, I offer a variety of treatment options, so I can help my patients work out which option is recommended by me, but also works for my patient.

I hope this has been of value of you and wish you well in your search.

Coolsculpting vs liposuction

coolsculpting selectively freezes fat cells to induce programmed cell death. It is a nice nonsurgical alternative to liposuction. You may benefit from an in person consultation with a coolsculpting physician to see if you are a candidate.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting versus liposuction

Liposuction is an invasive procedure for removing fat immediately through the body. Coolsculpting is a non-surgical way to treat a bulge in one hour in the office.  Both are effective but more and more patients are looking for effective non-surgical alternatives and that is why Coolsculpting has become so popular.  Best, Dr. Green

Coolsculpting vs. Liposuction

Coolsculpting is great for reducing fat in trouble areas.  Liposuction is too.  One technique isn't better than the other, they are just different ways to address the same problem.  I am a plastic surgeon so I offer surgeries such as liposuction and tummy tucks.  Those procedures create great changes for people but they are invasive and some people just aren't ready for that--maybe its' cost, maybe they're nervous about going under anesthesia, maybe they just can't take the time off work.  Coolsculpting is an attractive option for those patients.  There is no downtime and patients can expect a 20-25% fat reduction in the areas treated.  With liposuction I can do more than that and create a more dramatic difference however that requires a surgical procedure.  So I would say that liposuction is more effective but it requires a more invasive procedure.  If you are looking for a non-surgical, no downtime, permanent fat reduction treatment, then Coolsculpting is the best option.  As always, consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon to find out what treatment is right for you. 

Jason E. Leedy, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon