Can Botox eliminate nasolabial lines?

Can botox eliminate nasolabial lines? The Radiesse and Juvederm injections don't seem to last more than about 2 months. How about the wrinkles above the lip. I know that Botox lasts 3 - 4 months on average, which would be 3 to 4 times a year, but would using it regularly extend the life of botox so that I wouldn't need to have injections as often?

Botox for nasolabial folds

Unfortunately, Botox is not the right treatment for this area.  Even though it is supposed to "last" for  4months, the area of the nasolabial crease and folds is not caused by muscular folding as your forehead or glabellar creases are.  Fillers or facelifting is usually the best option for this area, particularly if very deep and volume treatment isn't giving you the result you are looking for.

BOTOX® is best used on the upper face and cannot eliminate nasolabial lines.

BOTOX® is most effective in treating the lines that form around the eyes and on the forehead, as the injectable treatment works to relax the muscle movement that can cause these lines. Dermal fillers such as JUVÉDERM® and RADIESSE® work differently, as they add volume to the area around the lower portion of the face to help minimize the appearance of lines like nasolabial folds. Given that your dermal fillers are wearing off after just 2 months, you might want to try JUVÉDERM VOLUMA®, which is longer-lasting. It may also be a good idea for you to consult with a different injector. Visit with a cosmetic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic facial procedures in order to obtain the best results.

Botox for nasolabial lines

Botox is not a recommended treatment for nasolabial lines. While Botox can reduce your nasolabial lines it will also diminish your ability to smile, making it unsuitable. If your filler injections are not lasting long enough it may be because the nasolabial lines remain under corrected. Are you limited by a budget?  You may need more filler for complete correction which will last longer. If necessary, ask about financing options so you can get optimal correction. If you have very deep nasolabial lines associated with prominent skin folds (nasolabial folds) it can be difficult to achieve adequate correction with non-surgical options like fillers, and a mid-face lift may be a better solution. A filler to lift the upper cheeks can also help by lifting the nasolabial folds. Which of the latter two options is best for you can be determined by a consultation with an experienced cosmetic and surgical dermatologist who can evaluate your needs and offer either option. For the upper lip lines, Botox is usually a supplement to a filler such as Restylane or Belotero. Only a small quantity of Botox can be used, in order to preserve normal mouth movement ( which is important when you're eating or drinking, and for normal speech). Regular use of Botox does help to maintain the results of Botox without reverting back to where you started.

Renuka Diwan, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatment of nasolabial folds

The ideal treatment for nasolabial folds is a hyaluronic based filler such as Juvederm Ultra/UltraPlus or Restylane. Radiesse can also be used. If neither of these is lasting for you and should in most cases last up to a year, you can Juvederm Voluma, Restylane Lyft or Sculptra for a longer duration of effect. I recommend you see an experienced injector for an in-person consultation. I would also discuss your concerns regarding prior filler injections and duration of action. Botox is not a treatment option for nasolabial folds.

No, it cannot......

Thank you for your question. Botox cannot be used to eliminatenasolabial lines. These lines can be filled with products such as the ones you
mentioned. Results from fillers often last 9-12 months. I recommend consulting
with a qualified physician for a treatment plan.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Botox and Nasolabial Folds

What a great question. Botox is not a treatment to soften nasolabial folds.  A good way to think about your Botox is that it will stop you from making movement, where as an injectable filler will plump folds and volumize hollow areas of the face.  In my office I enjoy placing Voluma or Radiesse (depending on the patient) along the cheek bone to lift and smooth out nasolabial folds.

Jodie Reinertson, MD
Seattle Physician

Botox

Botox does not help with the nasolabial folds.  It may be worth trying a longer lasting filler to that area such as voluma.  This should last longer.  Botox can be used to treat lines around the mouth.  Small micro injections to the peri-oral muscles can improve lip lines.

Jessica Lattman, MD
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox and nasolabial folds

Thank you for your question. Botox/Dysport will not help correct the appearance of nasolabial folds. Soft tissue fillers with the right placement will help to lessen the appearance of these folds. Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Can botox eliminate NLF?

No botox cannot eliminate nasolabial folds.  The right filler product with the right placement will help with this area.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for a proper assessment/consultation.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Can Botox improve nasolabial folds?

Thank you for asking your question. Botox cannot be use for the nasolabial lines. Proper injection of fillers should improve them. Thicker fillers can be injected into the cheeks to pull away the folds and thinner fillers can be injected directly into the folds. The tissue plane  which the product is injected is very important for achieving the best results. Yes, repeat use of Botox does enhance duration of effect.  I hope this helps.  Good luck,