Man boobs (gynecomastia). Would the surgery leave scars? (Photo)

Hi I have man boobs since 4 years and now I am 20 I need to know like if I did the surgery does it lieve any scars and if yes where....thx I am not that overweight my waight is 164 pound and 173 cm high

Scars After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Scars are necessary but....

You have a tremendous amount of excess skin and areola.  The only way to remove this is with skin and areola removal while at the same time, removing the breast tissue beneath.  Scars will result but should be much more acceptable, even without clothes, than what you have now, which probably can't be hidden without heavy clothing.

John Dean, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia (man-boobs) Scars are Individulaized for Each Patient

Gynecomastia treatment vary deoending on each patients' specific problems.  If the man's breast area is mostly fat then liposuction can be an ideal solution, and scars will be tiny.  Most men with glandular thickening will need tiny areolar edge scars (1.5").  A few men will have hanging, loose skin, or large, wide areolas.  These patients will have skin removal in order to achieve a smooth chest, and this will leave more significant scars.  Such scars are usually placed along the line beneath the breast and pectoral muscle.  Your board certified plastic surgeon will use his or her experience to give you the best result, with the least scar.

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Skin Removal Gynecomastia Treatment

Hello. Yes I do cinsider that you are a candidate for Gynecomastia surgical treatment. Skin removal is a must in your case and this needs to be done with the double horizontal breast crease technique. It is also called the free nipple graft technique. 

Jaime Caloca, Jr., MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Scars from Gynecomastia Surgery

Treatment of Gynecomastia will always leave a scar. The simplest treatment is liposuction. Although the scars are very small and almost imperceptible, they are still there.  When one has significant extra skin as you do, the only way to correct the problem and return your chest to a normal appearance is to excise the excess skin. This requires an extensive scar. However, when done well, that scar becomes minimally visible. The trade of that scar for the reduction of the problem is an excellent trade.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Sever gynecomastia condition

How should I choose a surgeon?
Selecting a surgeon is as important a choice as the decision to undergo surgery. Choose carefully only a board certified PLASTIC SURGEON. The decision is yours. What follows is some advice to assist in making your selection. 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon who has performed over one thousand gynecomastia cases increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures a surgeon displays, the better. Pay attention not just to the number of pictures, but whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3. Gynecomastia surgery Reviews matter. Have patients reviewed your surgeon? Did those patients undergo the surgery you are considering? 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Are they certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery

Mordcai Blau, MD

You will need excision of excess skin.

Majority of gynecomastia surgeries are done through periareolar incision. Those scars are not noticeable. However your situation is different.  You have lot of breast skin. You will need mastectomy and nipple repositioning.  That will require scars on your chest and they will be visible.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

You have gynecomastia. The fix for this is surgery. That does mean scars, but they don't have to be noticeable. It may or may not be covered by insurance. There will be a plastic surgery residency program in Dallas. You can get the surgery for a reduced rate there. You would really appreciate the results and I encourage you to go.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia options

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photos. It does appear from your photographs, that a skin excision would be in your best interest. This would leave a scar that would go around the areola, and even possibly vertically down from the areola if needed.   I would visit with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who can discuss this in more detail with you.

In the photo it appears most of the problem is excess and saggy skin and make likely require some form of reduction surgery. Find a BCPS you are comfortable with and he/she will give you the options on possible scar location.  

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon