How long should I take off I work after Tummy Tuck, Breast Augmentation, and Lipo? Job requires heavy lifting.

31, female, healthy, 75 LB wt loss, no children. Excess skin and stomach pooch that won't go away. I perform physical therapy with geriatrics. Lots of heavy lifting. How soon could I return to work without fear of injury or added complications?

Most patients with those surgeries can return to desk work after about 2 weeks. But if heavy lifting is required it will probably be closer to 6 weeks and maybe even 8 weeks.

Recovering from a Mommy Makeover & Returning to Work

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.    

Healing after a  #tummytuck will require time. Some patients are out of bed and walking the night of surgery and every hour while awake. I allow my patients to return to work at one to two weeks with 14 days preferred.  However, no lifting or straining.  At three weeks, increased level of activity and full with no restrictions, at 6 weeks. 
As I advise my patients, if your work keeps you sedentary, you may return whenever you feel up to it. If your work is strenuous, wait until your work activity does not cause any superficial pain. 
Some employers will modify a person’s job duties so they can back sooner, but without physical activity. Our office can provide our patients with a note stating they are not to engage in strenuous activity for a specified period of time. The note will not disclose what procedure they have underwent. Therefore, you may have to request a similar note from your surgeon if you are not independently employed. I recommend avoiding heavy lifting and strenuous #activity for six weeks following your surgery. With that said, it may help you plan your return to work accordingly.

As for heavy lifting and other #strenuous #activities, it should be avoided for until you have clearance from your surgeon. You may, however, do normal activities at any time if they cause no pain or #discomfort. Let your body tell you what you can or cannot do. Aerobic exercise will raise your blood pressure, which could cause late bleeding and harm your result. Once you begin exercising again, start gently and let your body tell you what it can tolerate. Don’t rush!!  If you have concerns about your healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined.

Heavy Lifting After TT

Strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for at least 6 weeks and must be approved by your plastic surgeon who will give you the best advise. Abdominoplasty involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical. 3-5 days or more of assistance at home is usually indicated.
You will be encouraged to move and walk regularly starting the day of surgery. Wearing your TED stockings at all times, except while washing, to prevent venous clots (deep vein thrombosis) is mandatory. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. Swelling may indicate too much activity. Do not plan on resuming aerobic or strenuous exercise for about 6 weeks after surgery. 

How long should I take off from work that requires heavy lifting?

Congratulations on your weight loss! This is a great question and it’s important to be concerned about activity restrictions after these surgeries. For my patients with jobs that are physically demanding, I recommend they rest at home for 2-3 weeks and then must return to light duty until they are six weeks from surgery. With normal healing, most patients are able to return to their unrestricted activities at six weeks. Each patient is unique and the best doctor to ask about your situation is your trusted board certified plastic surgeon. Follow their recommendations to get you the best surgical outcome.

Patients should probably avoid heavy lifting for six weeks after mommy makeover.

Your specific activity restrictions will be defined by your own surgeon. In my own practice and uncomplicated cases patients with a mommy makeover can return to full activity in about six weeks.

Thank you for your question. I would recommend a minimum of 6 weeks before looking at returning to full activities but even then I would suggest a gradual return over a period of a few weeks. You have been through a significant surgical rejuvenation and do want to jeopardise the surgical outcome by placing too much stress on your body. When returning to activities it is always important to listen and respond to what your body is telling you, if you have pain and discomfort, cease those activities and allow further time for recovery. 
Regards
Dr Guy Watts

How long should I take off I work

wit the amount of surgery you are having done and your work requirements I would say at least 6 weeks if not more to allow you to perform your duties with a low risk of tearing something or starting a little bleeding.

Julio Garcia, MD

With muscle tightening I recommend no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks.  Usually it is nothing over 10 pounds.  It is very important to walk in the postoperative period to avoid blood clots from forming.

Recovery after “mommy makeover” surgery will differ from one patient to another. Given your “intense” occupation, I would suggest that you be prepared to go back to work on a more part-time basis  depending on how you are feeling for 4-6 weeks after surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource, depending on how you are progressing. Since you considering undergoing a major operation which often involves a significant physical and emotional recovery ( often underestimated by surgeons and patients alike), a few words of advice may be helpful:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

How much recovery time after a tummy tuck

Thank you so much for your question about your tummy tuck recovery.

Congratulations on your weight loss! Well done.

For jobs that involve heavy lifting, the usual recovery is about 6 weeks....possibly more.
This is assuming your muscle will be tightened - as well as the skin.
If you think this is too long and might threaten your job, discuss with your surgeon and your boss if you can go back to work earlier in a temporary desk job. 

Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Here’s hoping you find this helpful. Have a great day!