I have a great amount of nipple sensitivity in both breast, more so my right breast. Is this normal?

I am coming up on my 2 year mark with my silicone implants. Placed under the muscle. Since surgery I have had sensitivity to my nipples. I thought that would go away? My right breast is worse than the left. And it is more noticeable when my nipple is erect. The sensitivity is painful at times, so much that they can't be touched. Also, when touching my breast it's almost as if the skin is numb, the feeling is rather weird! Is this all normal and will fade with more time?

Sensations After Breast Aug

Dear Breeves312,

If you had the implants placed through an incision along the inframammary fold (bottom of the breasts, it is quite typical to have a patch of numbness of the breast skin just above that area long term.

Regarding the nipple sensitivity, there may be ongoing stretch of the fourth intercostal nerve that gives feeling to the nipple. If it is slowly improving I would not do anything except encourage you that it should continue to improve. Otherwise, you might have to consider a smaller implant which would apply less traction to the nerve.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Thank you for your question.  The fact that her nipples feel numb when you touch them but have hypersensitivity suggests to me that your nerves are healing after being injured during surgery.  If this is the case I would expect the hypersensitivity to decrease as the nerve regeneration continues.  Please see your plastic surgeon and ask if a membrane stabilizer such as Neurontin could help.

Hypersenitivity in nipples

Hi Breeves

Hypersensitivity post BAM is very common.  This is due to nerves that are injured during augmentation surgery starting to function again.  Typically, the hypersensitivity starts around a couple of weeks after surgery, and this is the best time to intervene.

At first sign of hypersensitivity I start my patients on a desensitizing protocol.  I'll do my best to describe it.  Get a course cloth or an open weave gauze pad.  A vibrating device sometimes will work too.  Quickly rub the course fabric in circular or up and down motion firmly on the nipple for 30 seconds twice or three times a day.  Do this so that it stimulates the nipple and creates that awful feeling.  By about 20 seconds in, the noxious feeling begins to fade.  Over about 6 weeks, the sensation normalizes.

I'm not sure that this will work for you this far out, and of course, I recommend checking with your doctor, and be sure you are up to date on exams.  However, this technique is worth a try, and there is no risk to it.  Your doctor may have other ideas too.

Best of luck.

Sek

Nipple sensitivity

Thanks for your inquiry, I have seen improvement in nerve related recovery for up to two years, but honestly most of it is complete by 1 year.

Not normal

Hypersensitive nipples are not uncommon immediately following a breast augmentation.  This usually occurs as the nerves that bring sensation to the nipple are stretched at the time of surgery.  In my practice, I find this issues usually resolves in the first few week after the procedure.  The numbness and increased sensation in your case, 2 years after the procedure, suggests a more dramatic injury to the nerve that may not recover.  It is possible that some of the discomfort you are feeling is related to scar tissue around the implant.  I would suggest that you have further discussion about this with your plastic surgeon.  It is possible that implant removal might decrease the discomfort, but full recovery of the nerve is unlikely after 2 years.

Daniel Sherick, MD
Ann Arbor Plastic Surgeon