Will gynecomastia sugery leave noticeable scars?

Hi I am suffering from gynecomastia since 5 years now I am 21 my problem is that my niplles are really puffy my question is will the surgery leave scar that is noticble and what do you advice me to do before surgury

Scars After Gynecomastia Surgery

Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.
Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Thank you for the question and pictures. Yes, gynecomastia corrective surgery does leave scars;  exactly what incisions/scars are necessary will depend on exactly what procedure is performed.   Seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons (who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with similar starting anatomic points) to discuss options. 
 In your case, breast reduction surgery will likely involve excision of skin, as well as breast and adipose tissue.  I would also recommend reduction of nipple/areola complexes and  moving them superiorly (as a graft).  You will find  much discussion of options on this website and on the attached link as well. Best wishes.

Gynecomastia surgery, male breast surgery, liposuction , scar

Thank you for your query. You appear to have two main problems: the fat within the gynecomastia and excess skin. Most often the liposuction should help to remove the fat. Sometimes you may have glandular tissue that may also need to be excised after the liposuction is complete as it cannot be sucked out with the canula. Incisions for skin excisions and gland excisions are  placed around the aerola  margin so that they are not quickly noticed. In some young patients the skin may settle down well after the liposuction and therefore a skin excision may be delayed and decided on a 2nd follow up: this is left to the discretion of the surgeon and to be discussed with the patient.best wishes,Dr Alexander

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  Typically, gynecomastia surgery results in scars that are hardly noticeable at the areola border.  However, the extent of the scars depend on the how much excess skin you have and also how you scar in general (i.e. keloid).  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Will Gynecomastia Surgery Leave Scars?

This is a good question, it is imperative that you choose a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who specializes in gynecomastia surgery. The incisions go around the areola and will be almost invisible when they heal as there is a change in skin tone and color. However, as mentioned be sure your surgeon is very experienced. Ask to see before and after pictures of patients, ask how many male breast reduction cases are performed each year, read online reviews. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Thanks for your question.  The type of surgery that is generally recommended for a patient with gynecomastia depends on the severity of the gynecomastia.  Patients can have varying amounts of excess glandular or fatty tissue, alone or in combination, with extra skin.  Milder forms may be treated with liposuction alone, which is performed through a few small incisions, with or without an incision around the bottom half of the areola if needed, which is also well hidden once healed.  Patients with large amounts of extra skin may need additional incisions if the skin is unlikely to contract sufficiently after removing the excess fatty or glandular tissue.  Most patients with gynecomastia have it as a residual effect after puberty, but before undergoing surgery, it is important to be fully evaluated by your primary care physician in order to be certain that there is not another cause for your gynecomastia.  A board certified plastic surgeon can then evaluate you to determine the best procedure for you individually based on your goals.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Scarless Gynecomastia

For about 15 years we have converted the procedure to the "Scarless". It's performed through it and almost invisible spot inside the owner removing both fat and the gland tissue  with the use of a specialized instrument. It's a standard well described technique so when you are consulting with board-certified plastic surgeon try to find someone in your area that offers this method. Totally eliminates the scar around the areola on the front of the chest.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia incisions

Hello and thank you for posting pictures with your question. There are many ways to surgically correct gynecomastia. The option that is chosen is usually done so based on the amount of fat present, the amount of skin present and the location and size of the nipple. However, to simplify things a little, I would say there are 3 main ways.1) Liposuction of the chest and gland removal- I can usually perform this operation on my gynecomastia patients. This involves liposuction of the chest through a small incision at the border of the areola. Then to remove the gland, this incision is lengthened a little bit. The incision is usually hidden very well in the areola and usually is imperceptible2) liposuction, excision of extra skin and free nipple graft- This operation involves liposuctioning the chest for good contour then the nipple is harvested as a graft and then the all the extra skin that is hanging is removed. At the end, the nipple is placed back on as a skin graft in the appropriate position. The incision in this case would be all along the bottom aspect of your pecs but not crossing the midline and around your nipple. 3) Breast lift- The incisions for this surgery depend on how the surgeon choses to perform it but it can be anything from just around your nipple to around your nipple, down your chest, and under your chest (resembling an anchor)Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon that you feel understands your concerns. I wish you the best of luck!Ankur Mehta MDSugar Land, Tx
Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Will gynecomastia surgery leave scars?

For most patients, minimal scar gynecomastia surgery will result in a flatter, trimmer chest with scars that fade until they are virtually undetectable.  The photos you have submitted, though, reflect a a much more difficult case to treat and additional scars might be needed to deal with the lax skin and very large areolas that you have.  You will then be faced with a trade-off of scars for a better, more masculine chest.
Best to consult a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in gynecomastia surgery.  
God luck!
Elliot W. Jacobs, MD, FACSNew York City