I'm 18 & I'm a 40DDD. I want to get my boobs to a solid B cup. Should I wait until after kids or do it now?

I'm 18 yeas old and I HATE my Boobs they cause back pain like no other and my Boobs are horrible, I want to be a B cup i'm around 5'7 and i've been saving but it's not covered by insurance.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.

Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages, when patients have reached their long-term stable weights. In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure). Always, there are no "absolute rules"; in my opinion, it is best to individualize every patient's care. 

There are patients who present with “juvenile” breast hypertrophy will benefit from breast reduction surgery ( for both physical and psychosocial reasons) at an early age ( even as teenagers). Patients should consider carefully the pros and cons of the procedure as well as the potential need for further surgery if the breasts “regrow” in size.

If at all possible, it is best to wait until after completing pregnancies before undergoing breast reduction surgery. Again, doing so will minimize the chances that patients will require further surgery after pregnancy related breast changes.

On the other hand, it can be argued that, patients with breast hypertrophy benefit from breast reduction surgery prior to pregnancy ( to prevent the symptoms that may occur as the breasts grow even larger during and after pregnancy/breast-feeding). However, in the interests of avoiding additional surgery, I feel that it is in most patients best interest, to wait until pregnancies have been completed and a long-term stable weight has been reestablished. I hope this, and the attached link, helps.

18 and 40DDD and want to be a B cup

Thank you for your question and you will most likely need a reduction at some point.  The question is when is the best time for you.  You may continue to grow until your early twenties and affect your result if you do it now. A reduction will help with your back and neck pain but it may affect your ability to nurse and cause some numbness.  If you want to have children you may want to wait until after because you breasts will change and possibly end up smaller.  I would recommend you see board certified plastic surgeon who can help you with this decision and can help you make sure your goals and expectations are realistic.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction at age 18

If you are suffering to the degree that you state you are definitely a candidate for breast reduction surgery.  Most patients are extremely satisfied by the change and their physical symptoms.  Keep in mind however that breasts MAY continue to enlarge until you're in your early 20's so that further development may occur.  If you're disable by neck, shoulder and back pain then proceeding now is a good option.  Best wishes....Jon A Perlman MD FACS 
Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery  Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016  Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast reduction

Thank you for your question.  Based on your description of large breasts contributing to back pain, it would appear that you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction, even at your age.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Scarless breast reduction

Given your age look into a procedure that might be the right "compromise" at this point in your life. The "Scarless", or liposuction only operation. Find a BCPS in your area who specializes in it. Worth a few phone calls.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Pluses and minuses

So the reason most breast reductions are covered by insurance is because the breast enlargement causes back, neck, and shoulder pain from their weight, headaches, numbness and tingling in the arms with prolonged bra wearing, rashes under the skin folds, and they limit activities such as exercising to maintain a healthy weight.  If some or all of these conditions are present, your insurance should cover it.Breast reduction can safely be done at 18, but remember, if you have children or gain weight they can grow back. So you may need to have it done again later in life.   As for breast feeding, it may decrease your chances of success, but it's unclear from the data we have.  If breast feeding is very important to you, the safest thing to do is not have surgery on your breasts.  Make sure to find someone you trust who is board certified in plastic surgery to answer your questions and help you decide.  
Good Luck!

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction at 18

Thank you for your question. You are not too young for a breast reduction.  In fact, some insurance policies do in fact cover breast reduction. You should first check with your insurance company to determine if this is a covered benefit. If it is not, then your options are to go ahead with the surgery as a cosmetic procedure, or when the time comes around for reenrollment for your health insurance, make sure that it is a covered benefit. Documentation of issues such as neck, back and shoulder pain, skin rashes under the breast and breast pain can help make our case for your insurance company to deem the breast reduction as medically necessary and not cosmetic.The only regret most breast reduction patients have is that they did not have the surgery earlier in life. 
Best wishesMichael Morrissey, MD

You should get them now if you are ready

If you are healthy and at your goal weight and your breasts are causing problems, I recommend getting the surgery now.  I can't tell you how many patients I do this surgery on and they say "I wish I had done it earlier in my life".  If you are worried about breast feeding your future child, some studies have shown no difference in the success rate of breast feeding in patients that underwent this surgery and the general population.  Contrary to some beliefs, the nipple is rarely removed and "put back on" as some people say to me.  The nipple stays attached to breast tissue and ducts and after healing, should work perfectly fine.  Don't live in misery now.  If your breasts change after kids, you can always get things re-tightened or re-reduced if necessary.  Hope this helps.
-JGH