I am 5'6 & 160, I am a DDD. I am going in a few short weeks to get a reduction/lift to be a full C/D..

I'm curious if I will look overweight or if it will balance me out. I had a baby a year ago so I'm not the smallest in my tummy area.

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

My advice for patients seeking breast reduction surgery:  careful preoperative communication is one of the keys to success with any type of breast surgery.   With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) very helpful.  The use of computer imaging is also becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

For example, I have found that the use of words such as "proportionate” or “B or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate.  the use of computer imaging is becoming more helpful when it comes to the communication process.

The website link dedicated to breast reduction surgery as well as the video link below may be helpful as you continue to do research.

Best wishes for outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Proportions

It is impossible to say without photographs, or even better, an in person consultation.  In my practice I try to give patients the maximum medical benefit of reduction while keeping them in proportion to their body size.  This is something you'll have to discuss with your surgeon and trust him or her with.  Many of my patients comment that once their breasts are reduced/lifted, they notice their tummy more.  if that is the case for you, it may be a motivation to lose some of that baby belly to match your perky smaller breasts.  Best of luck to you!

M. Renee Jespersen, MD
Arlington Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift

MWomen often ask how a breast lift will affect the rest of heir body and most of the time things stay proportional. The lift will help you feel more proportional to your shoulder and chest width. 

David R. Alfonso, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon