My husband has these wrinkles really bad under his eye. Will Botox or fillers work to smooth out? Or any other suggestions??

Doctor Answers 4

Easy Fixes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hello there,

Most of the wrinkles that I see in this photo appear to be large, extended versions of what we call "crows feet." These can extend all the way to the edge of the face and down the cheeks. 

Luckily, they CAN be significantly improved. From what I can tell in this photo, I believe the best course of action would be an initial injection of Botox around the eyes. Please, please, keep in mind that while many clinicians are trained in injecting Botox into the forehead and glabella, peri-orbital injections are best left to experienced dermatologists or plastic surgeons. This is because you need a clinician who has a very good working knowledge of the facial anatomy and musculature, so as to avoid eye drooping and irregularity. I have seen this all too often in my practice. 

After a modest amount of injections around and under the eyes, if significant wrinkles remain, your husband may need to think about injections to fill the actual lines. For this area, I recommend something light, such as Restylane. He may also see significant improvement with a laser treatment, specifically the Fraxel re:store.

Best of luck to you both!

Dr. Cameron Rokhsar & Molly Murray, PA-C

New York Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing not Botox best for extensive cheek wrinkles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question.  The extensive wrinkling that you show in the photograph of your husband which is occurring below the eyelid will not likely be improved with Botox injections.  Combined laser resurfacing could be a more effective option.

please be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in laser techniques for formal examination, diagnosis and recommended treatment.


{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I believe your husband could benefit from a combination of fillers and botox to improve the wrinkling around his eyes.

You might also like...

Improving wrinkles around the eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Your husband would likely benefit from a multi-pronged approach. First, he needs to start wearing sunscreen, and at night using a retinol or tretinoin topically.  I'd consider Botox and possibly filler, as well as some laser resurfacing or medium depth chemical peels. This can certainly be improved.

Benjamin Barankin, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.