Scared of wound necrosis again on TT. (photos)

First surgery was 8/29 I ended up getting wound necrosis. I have regretted having a TT ever since. I ended up having a 2nd surgery & the doc just removed 2 more inches of since TO removed the the necrosis & closed me back up on 9/22 now I'm scared it will happen again & I keep looking close every moment to watch & make sure. Any advice? I feel like every little thing is going to be signs of an infection.

Sorry you've had such problems

I'm sorry you've had complications following your tummy tuck. The incidence of problems like yours isn't high so its unlikely you'll have a second bout of would necrosis. Every day you do well you're closer to be better so hang in there. There isn't much you can do short of keeping the wound clean, avoiding tight waistbands or belts that might traumatize the wound or place undo pressure on the area. I also tell all my patients that they are welcome to get a second opinion as well if they're more comfortable hearing advice from another source. Good luck.

Munster Plastic Surgeon

this may happen to anyone and it is a risk both plastic surgeons and patients take.  At this time all you can do is to minimize your activity level and wait.  If you have any questions talk to your plastic surgeon.  Once your healed and are happy with the results you will not regret having the tummy tuck then.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Repeat necrosis in the same area is unlikely

Sorry to read of your troubles. Repeat necrosis in very unlikely. Follow your surgeon directions and heal well. :)

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

NECROSIS in abdominoplasty

You look generally good but it is very early.    Wound infections start showing up about 5 days after surgery.  Just take good care and following yopur instructions.   I think you will be fine.

Thank you for your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your wound healing difficulties.  At a week out from your revision tummy ticket your incision seems to be doing well with little evidence of impending dehiscence or skin loss.  I can only imagine the psychological toil that the original procedure caused you but your skin has learned to be more durable in the interim and should do well.  Be sure to maintain close follow up with your surgeon to avoid any further issues. 

Scared of Wound Necrosis

I'm sorry this happened to you.  Your doctor did the right thing to remove the dead tissue and perform a closure at the appropriate time.  The risk that you will have necrosis again is very low because the skin that's left has proven itself to have a good blood supply.  I would continue to follow closely with your doctor and follow their recommendations.

Dr. Dan Krochmal

MAE Plastic Surgery

Northbrook, IL

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Scared of wound necrosis again on TT

From your pictures I would think you are healing quite well now.  It may take a few weeks to determine if you have any issues since fat necrosis can occur deep and not be seen for weeks.  The skin itself seems to be healing OK at this point so I would be confident you are on your way to a full recovery.  Good luck and follow closely with your Plastic Surgeon.