Is it common to have a breast lift, tummy tuck, and a hysterectomy at the same time? What would be the recoup time?

Hysterectomy, Tummy Tuck, and Breast Lift

It is always nice to piggyback cosmetic surgeries with a medical surgery when possible.  Most often, the recovery from the medical aspect is the longest so it is nice to get things done at the same time while you are recovering.  The hysterectomy/ tummy tuck is a common combination, and adding a breast lift is possible as well.  The hysterectomy is the longest part of the recovery - 6 weeks of no lifting, etc. so it works out well.  You are welcome to come for a consultation and see what will work best for you.  I hope this helps.

Combining Mommy Makeover with a Hysterectomy

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction.  
#Combined operations are often performed with our #Gynecology colleagues. Tubal ligation is a common post pregnancy procedure which is done at the time of many of the surgeries included with a #MommyMakeover. If you require a gynecologic operation or study (laparoscopy) and are considering a plastic surgery procedure, discuss these issues with your physician and board-certified plastic surgeon. Also, combining these #procedures may decrease anesthetics, costs, and recovery time.

Combining procedures

The procedures you are considering can be combined.  It is important that your plastic surgeon and the surgeon performing your hysterectomy agree that the procedures are safe and advisable for you.  The amount of time in surgery will need to be determined between the two surgeons to ensure your safety.  In general, the hysterectomy will carry the longest recovery time of the procedures you are considering.

Camille Cash, MD

Mommy make-over with hysterectomy

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.
  • Yes, a hysterectomy, tummy tuck and breast lift can often be done at the same time.
  • Your gynecologic surgeon and plastic surgeon need to agree -
  • And they both need to agree that this is safe for you
  • If surgery takes more than  six hours, it might be wiser to put off the breast lift - 
  • A lot depends on what needs to be done and your general health.
  • So the short answer is - yes these can be done but yes, advance planning is needed.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Find the right surgeon

In my practice it is common for me to perform all of the procedures you mentioned at the same time. However, I use an assistant to save total operative time with the goal less than 6 hours of surgery (often far less than that) to minimize potential complications and for a speedier recovery. My patients following a TT with or without a BBL stay in a reclining chair the first week. A flat tempurpedic pillow beneath your back and upper thighs will offload pressure on your buttocks. The benefit is only one surgery, only one recovery (you heal from all procedures simultaneously) and that you can use the fat that would normally be discarded from the tummy tuck. Pros and cons of this decision should be part of your in depth consultation with your plastic surgeon and often the anesthesiologist regarding your question about an epidural, including the increased risk of complications with long surgeries and how to prevent them. Your plastic surgeon will guide you into making the best decision in your individual case. The most important decision is picking the best plastic surgeon experienced in this technique. See link regarding finding the best surgeon for combined surgeries.

Is it common to have a breast lift, tummy tuck, and hysterectomy at the same time? What would be the recoup time?

Thank you for your question.  In most hands this type of combined procedure can be done but may test the time of what is safely allowable.  Depending on the severity of the breast lift and tummy tuck it may be wise to perform these procedures in stages.  Recovery after a tummy tuck would require at least 6 weeks assuming an uncomplicated recovery.  Hope that this helps.

Careful!

While it may be tempting to combine procedures it is important to note that operative risks go up the longer you are asleep.  The potential for problematic blood clots in the legs and lungs go up with increasing operative time..they also go up when you combine"inside" (hysterectomy) and "outside" (tummy tuck) surgery.  Your plastic surgeon should be able to walk you through your options and the risk to benefit ratio as you take on more ambitious surgical plans.  The operative times for procedures can vary a lot..some tummy tucks take 2 hours..others take 5.. The take home message is the operative clock is ticking and so are your operative risks as the procedures become more lengthy and complex.  I would be steering you away from this surgical plan.