Wanting breast implants again after removal 23 years ago. Desperately seeking advice. Very small A cup. Wanting to be larger.

I'm 55 yrs 110lbs healthy .Had 1st set of saline implants put in at age 21 (rt side hardened ) got a 2nd set 3mo later (silicon) had for10 yrs. At age 32 I decided to remove them totally (Fear of the future of them) i've not had implants for 23 yrs I am a very sm A cup I struggle daily because of the size of my breast. I work out eat right don't smoke positive outlook on life but can't seem to be happy with the way I look. In your opinion would it be wise for me to have breast implants again?

Implant replacement

Thank you for taking the time to post a question. If you were happy with the breast implants that you had for 10 years, then there is a very good chance that you would be happy with breast implants now. However, the body does change with time and a physical exam and health history will be necessary to best assess this. If this is something that you have been thinking about for awhile, then I recommend that you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck!

Tempe Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation should I or shouldn't I?

While breast augmentation is not a cure for unhappiness, it is a cure for small breasts. If you want larger or fuller breasts, then there is no reason not to get implants again. The implants available now are night and day different from what you would have had placed 25+ years ago. I encourage you to speak with a board certified plastic surgeon breast specialist and get your options. Best of luck!

Melinda Haws, MD

Wise for me to have breast implants again?

Thank you for the question.   Although I cannot provide you with definitive advice without in-person evaluation, there is nothing in your description that makes me think that you will not be a good candidate for breast augmentation surgery.   In your case, the use of computer imaging may be helpful when it comes to deciding  whether breast augmentation surgery will help you be "happier" with the way you look.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.  Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.  Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery,  after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast  augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

There is no reason for you not to have Another breast implant set placed as long as you have good tissue coverage. Seek a true specialist in your area 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS