When is a vertical scar (vs bikini scar) needed with a Tummy tuck? Does it look like I will need a vertical scar? (photos)

Hello everyone! I am the proud mom of 5 children ranging in ages from 4 months to 8 years old. My skin has always shriveled back up after I loose the baby weight but right now I still have some fat that is causing it to hang a little more than normal.After every baby I still have that wrinkled crepe paper belly we all have come to know:( So what do you think? As it is right now would I need a vertical scar or just a regular tummy tuck? Would loosing 15lbs change anything? Thanks for any replies:)

Weight loss

Weight loss and a healthy, active lifestyle are great preoperatively. I expect you to do well with a low transverse scar with your tummy tuck. I use a vertical incision in some patients who have lost 100lbs or more. See an experienced surgeon.

Dayton Plastic Surgeon

When is a vertical scar (vs bikini scar) needed with a Tummy tuck? Does it look like I will need a vertical scar?

Appears as standard horizontal incision is all that is needed in this case. But always best to obtaining person opinions... 

Will i need a vertical TT scar?

IMO no, not from your pics, I rarely use the vertical component and when I do it is usually staged and done at a later stage. A personal exam is needed, but no indication it will be needed form the current pics provided.

Jonathan Weiler, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

When is a vertical scar needed for a tummy tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question. It is never needed as far as I am concerned. Can it make you a little tighter? Yes, but you then have a long vertical scar. In your case a standard  tummy tuck with liposuction will give you an excellent result. If you have loose butt skin and side of the thigh skin a lower body lift will take care of that.
Peter Fisher M.D.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Verticle Scar

Nothing beats a personal exam, but it looks like you could do well without the vertical component we do sometimes.  It is usually necessary in the massive (100lbs or more) weight loss patients.

Good luck, I think you will love it!

Virgil Willard, MD
High Point Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and vertical scar

The vast majority of tummy tucks can be performed without a vertical scar.  The long vertical scar tummy tuck (fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty) is usually reserved for patients that have lost over 100 lbs and have a significant amount of excess skin horizontally in addition to the excess vertically that you demonstrate in the first photo. You look like you may be a great candidate for an extended tummy tuck, which simply means that your scar will be 1-2 inches longer on either side at your hips. I hope this helps and best wishes. 

I think that you could get a very nice result with a tummy tuck.  I would search for the board certified plastic surgeon who you feel is most likely to give you the best results and who performs hundreds of these procedures each year. I would look at reviews and before and after pictures on that surgeon's website.

Tummy Tuck vs Fleur de Lis

In my opinion you are a wonderful candidate for a Full Extended Tummy tuck (extended only 1-2 inches further back the hip bone to avoid dog ears) in order to remove the saggy skin on your abdomen and sides and I will highly  recommend a tight muscle repair in order to achieve a curvaceous small tapered waist.  
The incision has to be placed very low in order to be hidden under a bikini or jeans. 
Be encouraged. You will be loving your results. 
Dr. Cardenas 

Straight foward tummy tuck

The amount of excess skin typically determines the length of the incision required to remove that excess skin. From these pictures is seem like you would get a great result with a full tummy tuck. A consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon with an expertise in tummy tucks and body contouring should be able to show you what you can expect. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Vertical Scar in Tummy Tuck

The overwhelming majority of tummy tucks (abdominoplasties) can be done with excellent results with only a low C-section type scar that can be hidden under your swimwear. Pulling down the excess skin tends to tighten it somewhat across as well. In a few cases, such as those after massive weight loss, it may be necessary to incorporate a vertical incision or even less commonly a fleur-de-lis type incision to insure removal of all the excess skin.

For the best results seek the consultation of a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. They have a website listing all the certified plastic surgeons. Members of the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will all be board certified in plastic surgery and have demonstrated an interest and competence in cosmetic plastic surgery as well.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS