Fraxel laser for hyperpigmentation. Any suggestions? (photos)

I had fraxel laser for hyperpigmentation on 08/25/16 it's been 6 days and its only getting worst it's getting darker and it itches Is it going peel ? How long will it take ? What can I do to see improvement ?

Fraxel results

At 6 days post procedure, you are likely in the peeling phase of the recovery. The skin should peel rough (sandpaper like) and  their should be some darkening and flaking. You should be following your physicians post procedure instructions. These usually include good moisturization and sun protection. He/she may also have recommend a light steroid cream to help with any itching, redness and irritation. Finally, he/she may have  recommended a skin bleaching cream. I recommend you followup with your treating physician with any concerns. 

The keys to good wound healing are keep the wound clean (but don't rub and scrub), keep it moist, and keep it out of the sun. 

Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation -- Fraxel, Skin Care, Peels

At this point you need to have the proper skin care. You are in the peeling phase and this takes 1-2 weeks after which you should be on lightening creams.  Speak to your physician if you are concerned.  Best, Dr. emer.

Worsening of pigmentation following Fraxel

Firstly, just wondering what type of pigmentation are you treating? Possibly lichen-macular amyloid? Did you consult a dermatologist for the diagnosis. Secondly, make sure you follow your specialist after care or worsening of pigmentation can occur. Fraxel is one of the best lasers for treating sun damage and sun induced (not melasma) pigmentation, however it can worsen some forms. Stay safe, and follow your Specialists advice. All the best, Dr Davin Lim

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Fraxel Laser and hyperpigmentation

Thank you for your question. Yes, after a Fraxel laser often times the area will  become darker before it peels off. Make sure you are following proper post procedure care so as to prevent any chance of Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation which would cause a darkening of the pigment. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist

Hyperpigmentation treated with the fraxel laser?

This would not be my choice for the treatment because this can make it worse. It is still way too early to see results. I would use a 1064 laser for this problem in most cases.

Steven F. Weiner, MD