Dog ears or pleating? Will this eventually flatten out and be smooth? Does this incision look healthy? (Photo)

Will this flatten? I've added before and after pics. After removing tape, it appears I took a little skin off and exposed my incision possibly. I know I need to consult my PS, but I want opinions from you guys!

Looks Like Pleating

Dear Arkansas Mommy,

That looks like normal pleating to me. The reason for this is the upper incision of the resected skin and fat is longer than the lower, so the surgeon has to bunch it up and pleats it. By two months’ time after surgery, that should flatten out.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Contour irregularities along the incision after mommy makeover.

There's no evidence of a dog ear. Your regular skin contour along the incision is a result of swelling and will smooth out as the weeks pass.

Scar after tummy tuck

Thanks for your question and photos.  From your photos, it appears that you are not that far out from your tummy tuck.  The pleated appearance should improve with time, and scars usually continue to remodel for up to a year after surgery.  Hope this helps…best of luck!

Will my TT incision flatten

Your pictures show a very early post operative result.  Your scar in these pictures appears as one would expect at this early stage.  It is not uncommon to have a pleated look early as there is swelling of the incision and frequently there is some tailoring of the upper and lower incisions.  Generally with time, any irregularity will smooth out.  Sometimes this happens within 4 weeks.  Some patients require many months for their scars to settle.  Scars will actively remodel for up to two years.  If you have concerns, be sure to raise them with your plastic surgeon. 

Carlin Vickery, MD

Mommy Makeover - Pleating?

Thank you for your question and photos. Congratulations on your recent mommy makeover surgery. You look to be healing perfectly fine in the photos. The pleating may take a few months to subside, but the end result will be a smooth incision. Continue to wear your compression garment as instructed by your plastic surgeon.

Scar care

Your results look good so far. Yes, the pleating will resolve with time. Speak with your surgeon about proper scar care in order to make them as smooth and unobtrusive as possible. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Will my scar flatten out?

Congrats on your decision to have your "Mommy Makeover". The short answer to your question is YES your scars will flatten out and improve. This process is called "scar maturation". It takes the usual adult about 8-12 months to occur. This is why Plastic Surgeons follow patients for at least one year.   Would allow your body to heal for 2-3 more weeks ,and then apply mederma for 8 weeks. Then you can use silicon strips to help flatten your scars. Hope this helps,but best advise is be patient.

Neumon T. Goshorn, MD

Dog ears or pleating? Will it improve?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

• Everything in your photos looks fine -you look likely to get a great result and be very happy.
  • The pleating is likely to subside completely in time.
  • Did your surgeon direct you to remove the tape? 
  • Please cover any raw areas with a little aquaphor to prevent drying, then plain gauze and let your surgeon know.
  • Especially in women of color, even a little stripped skin can cause prolonged skin darkening - so be very kind to your tissues while you heal.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Dog ears or pleating? Will this eventually flatten out and be smooth? Does this incision look healthy?

Thank you for your question and series of photographs.  Over time the pleating and ridging of your tummy tuck incision should flatten with time.  Your surgeon should be able to make recommendations on scar care to obtain the best results.  I am attaching a link below to some useful information during your recovery. Best wishes!

Congratulations on having undergone the mommy makeover procedures. Yes, you will be pleasantly surprised how, over time (several months), the skin pleating/irregularities will smoothen out.  As always, you will receive the best assessment/advice directly from your plastic surgeon. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.