6 months post op & weird shaped abdomen while bending over! (It's not swelling) Any suggestions? (photos)

My stomach feels flat and hard while standing with a bit of residual looseness vertically (but I can live with it) while sitting or bending though, my stomach is flat down to the umbilicus then protrudes out from there down to my incision which is right above my pubic hair line and very low. It is not an issue of fullness in the mons area. My doctor refuses to fix this without charging full price again!!! Why does my abdomen look this way!? What can be done!? I workout 6x a week.

Abdomen Shape After Tummy Tuck

Swelling can persist for several months and will gradually improve and will look better at three months, six months, and even one year. Frequently the pubic area for men can become very swollen and discolored during the first two weeks due to gravity as this is the lowest area for swelling to accumulate.

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

There could be any level of swelling, tightening, bruising or other effect from your surgery that would be best answered directly by your surgeon. With any questions you have about your healing process it is best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing process and make sure everything is going well. Good luck.

6 months post op & weird shaped abdomen while bending over! (It's not swelling) Any suggestions?

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs.  Unfortunately without more detail of your procedure it is difficult to offer definite recommendations.  It appears that you have excess skin along your lower abdomen, but the bulges appear to be from a lack of muscle repair or tightening.  Was this performed in your operation?  I would discuss your results with your surgeon to have the details of your outcome reviewed so that an appropriate treatment can be offered. 

Skin issue

Some people have rebound laxity after surgery due to poor skin tone.  This is sometimes difficult to predict. Bending over everyone has some laxity or else they could not stand up straight.

Pseudo-bursa?

Thank you for the question and photos.  Its hard to give an educated guess without knowing more of your history and doing an in person exam.  Bulging can generally be caused by:

-excess fat

-loose abdominal wall (surgical or exercise related)

-pseudo-bursa

-swelling

If this area was flat in the beginning of your recovery and has gotten firm and bulging later on, it might be prudent to evaluate the possibility of a pseudo-bursa.  A CT scan may be helpful.  Although, you will need your plastic surgeon to look at the CT scan since radiologists don't always catch the presence of a pseudobursa.

Good luck with the rest of your recovery.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD