Is a hair transplant the right choice? (Photo)

I am 43. Have fphl. Mostly frontal, temple loss. Been told by 2 hair surgeons via Skype consult I could have a hairtransplant to fill in temples and get stronger hairline and part. My shed is pretty high at 150-250 a day sometimes. I have a thick layer of hair at the back that could be used as donor hair. Would a transplant work or last with continued bad sheds and effects of aga? I can't take spiro or fin because of low bp.

Women can get hair transplants

Filling in the temples on a female is a fairly small procedure in terms of hair transplant. Some women have very dense hair in the back (the donor area) compared to the top in the typical pattern of thinning. Other women have diffuse thinning all over. If your donor area is better/thicker then the areas of loss, you can assume that the hair should be more durable when you move it to the front even if you are feel you have excessive shedding. As mentioned in other response you may not end up wanting a second procedure to add density. If you can't use oral medications, you may want to consider topical minoxidil, low level laser therapy or PRP to improve your overall hair loss in addition to surgery.

San Antonio Dermatologist

43 year old with mild corner recession

The decision to do a hair transplant is not the surgeons decision as it depends on how much it bothers you, are you willing to go through a surgery to fix it and pay the money it takes.  A good friend of mine just had  a face lift and everyone told him he didn't need it. It bothered him that his wife was younger than he was and he was showing his age while she was not. So for him, he balanced the above decisions and was decisive with no regrets. He looks great!

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant for receding female hairline

This type of hair loss in women is fairly common and typically responds well to hair transplantation. If your donor hair is strong, the transplant should hold up well over the years; as is the case with men, however, you should be aware of the possible need for two or more procedures to achieve the density you desire (especially since you have what appears to be black hair and a fair complexion) or further loss of native hair takes place over the years. But before you consider a hair transplant I would recommend using minoxidil for at least 6 months to see what sort of response you have. (I don't know what you mean by "low bp," but it is quite possible that you could tolerate low dose minoxidil [2% once a day] and perhaps increase to 5% once a day.) If, and only if, there is no chance you could become pregnant, you could also consider seeing a dermatologist or hair transplant surgeon to discuss the possible use of finasteride. Finally, PRP and/or low level laser therapy (LLLT) would be options. As far as the number of follicles/grafts it would be necessary to transplant in a first session, if you do decide to go forward with a hair transplant, I believe that somewhere in the neighborhood of 1000-1400 grafts (about 2000-3000 follicles) would do a nice job.

Jonathan Ballon, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair transplant to fill in frontal temporal recessions

It does appear that you would be a good candidate for what is a relatively small procedure in terms of grafts to help fill in the frontal temporal recessions.  This would help to restore the hairline in the areas of concern.  Female pattern hair loss manifesting in frontal- temporal recession can be very amenable to a transplant with some nice results.

Photos cannot determine if hair transplant surgery is the right choice for you. Interaction between you and someone (a doctor

Photos cannot determine if hair transplant surgery is the right choice for you. Interaction between you and someone (a doctor) is a better way to assess if surgery may be a "right" option.  It usually involves examination and long discussions.  If you were not satisfied with two other doctor's Skype consult it is best to see a doctor in person.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Are hair grafts appropriate?

Hair grafts are really the only option today for hair loss to restore the hair line. They work very well in both men and women. The other thing that needs to be considered is the reason for the hair loss. It would be best to see a hair restoration physician or a dermatologist to rule out any treatable medical cause.

Jeffrey W. Hall, MD

Hair transplant?

Every patient is different but in your case, there are organic and pharmaceutical options you can take.  

You mentioned you suffer from low bp.  Finasteride doesn't cause that, you are confusing it with minoxidil. 

There is also PRP, stem cell therapies to consider that can be options. 

Ultimately depends how much your facial framing you identify with.  Surgical proceure is the choice to create the perfect look you are seeking. 

If you are okay with your current facial framing and looking to improve density, alternative therapies are an option and can give you a 10% improvement. 

Think about the last statment.  You have 40000 follicles on top your scalp currently.  A 10% improvement would mean 4000 new follicles.  That equates to a pretty large procedure that most practitioners on this site are not capable of performing on one sitting.   

Continue research and look at all your optoins.  Every therapy can help a little and in combination, they can be synergistic.   You have many options to consider. 

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician