5'9 140lbs 14BW 34B, need help deciding on volume. My PS suggested I try 500cc sizers. I'd already decided on 450cc. (Photo)

I recently went for my second consult. My PS suggested that I try 500cc sizers. This is after looking at some of my wish pics. He said that to achieve the look I will need more volume. Which is something he rarely suggest. I had already decided to go with what I felt was big 450cc. I want mentor silicone, mod+, under the muscle. Just need help working through the correct volume. The 450cc implants have a width of 13.6 and the 500cc are 14.1. So how does that work with my measurement? thank you

When choosing implant size error on the larger side of your range.

.This is a general statement and not specific to you. Most patients after period of time where state gone slightly larger with breast augmentation. The 500 mL is within your range it would probably be a better choice than 450 statistically speaking

Best size breast implants

Best size breast implants
Please see my many posts on this subject.
50 cc in this size range is minimal. about 10% difference.
the diameter is wide if you want a very round breast and side fullness . otherwise a smaller diameter hi profile or lesser volume 
You will be larger than a 34 dd most likely

Implant Sizing

This is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc. You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.Approximately 50 cc (1-2 oz.) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial submuscular pocket. Once you decide on a size you like, then add on about 25-50 cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy. Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer. Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width. Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total). Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.

Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape. A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them. These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery. In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover. Then, the patient’s verbal requests are factored into the analysis.Our average size over the last 6,000 implants was 350.

Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons). Also, ask if they have an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year. Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website. If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view. I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you. You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center. Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.All the best, “Dr. Joe”

Choosing the right implant

If 450cc is what you feels is best with the sizers in place, then that is what I would recomment based upon your dimensions.

Higher profile

The moderate profile 450-500 cc width may be a bit wide for your chest wall.  I would recommend a higher profile implant for you based on your photo.

Size choice for implants

Computer image predictions are only one way to select the size implants for you.  I have found the external sizing implants from Mentor worn inside of a stretchy bra with a cotton or knit top will give you another way to find something that you will be comfortable with for years to come.  As you get older you may put on more weight in your breasts. Be careful in selecting something that may be comfortable now, but may cause back and shoulder pain in the future.  Different women have different goals.  When you meet someone new, do you want them to look at your face or continue to look at your chest?  Bigger is not always best.

John M. Weeter, MD

Either implant size will be fine--one is just 50cc larger.

Remember that 50cc is equal to 3 tablespoons and 1 teaspoon, a barely-perceptible difference. Don't worry about your base width "measuring" 0.1cm (1mm) too narrow--your pocket will be larger than your breast base by at least that margin. Plus, that measurement would be at least 1-2cm different depending on which surgeon you chose to measure you--there is no precise beginning and end to your breast base! That being said, you and your surgeon need to agree on what your ultimate goal is and if you are OK with "a smidge too big" or "a tad smaller than perfect."

I ask my patients to do a "mind experiment" with me in the pre-op area. I tell them I have the "absolutely perfect" size implants for them, and then suddenly (in this made-up situation) they are no longer available and I either have to choose 30cc "bigger than perfect" (which is equal to 2 tablespoons difference that cannot be seen), or 30cc "smaller than perfect" (also equal to a 2 tablespoon difference that cannot be seen). It's sort of a half-empty or half-full question, and there is no right or wrong answer--it is a "gut check" question.

The answer helps me make the proper choice as I create the implant pocket. I'm already down to 2 adjacent-size implants, and this helps me choose the "best ones" for my patient based on her own input.

Sizing with actual implants in a bra and stretchy top pre-operatively also helps, as do goal photographs. Those are the sizing methods that narrow me down to one or two sizes, and the final choice is made based on actual anatomy in the operating room. Profile is based on the proper actual pocket width in the size the patient chooses. Mod + sounds right for you.

There is no wrong answer here, and you should go with your own gut, aided by the experience of the surgeon you have chosen to trust. Make the decision together, since you both will have to live with it (or re-operate). Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Size

500 cc is a lot for your frame, especially with saline, in someone as lean as you. Your right breast does look smaller.

Edward S. Gronka, MD
Fayetteville Plastic Surgeon

5'9 140lbs 14BW 34B, need help deciding on volume. My PS suggested I try 500cc sizers. I'd already decided on 450cc.

The best cosmetic result in any particular breast augmentation patient depends on a variety of factors, including: your individual anatomy, realistic expectations, a thorough discussion with the plastic surgeon about the options, and an understanding of the pros and cons of any particular implant choice. Proper sizing is not just about the number of cc’s. The thickness of your tissue, breast dimensions which include the width, height, and projection, as well as chest wall width all need to be considered when choosing an implant. Trying on implant “sizers” of various shapes and volumes while wearing a tight t-shirt, bra, or bathing suit at a preoperative visit will help you and your surgeon choose the optimal implant.

There are no manufacturers' standards for cup sizing in the bra industry. The cups of a 32 C and a 38 C are significantly different. Cup size varies from manufacturer to manufacturer and even within styles from any particular manufacturer.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest that your plastic surgeon be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Picking the right implant size for you

It looks like you will likely be a great candidate for breast augmentation. In terms of breast implant sizing, there are several factors that plastic surgeons consider when recommending implant sizes. I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1. Dimensional planning
2. Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX