Tall girls, I need help! I'm 5'10", 135lbs, lean, active lifestyle and I'm having a hard time picking out a size. (photos)

I am having surgery Jan 13th. I'm pretty lean and don't want to go too big, I'm aiming for a full C/small D but no bigger than that. My doctor recommended 400-425 CC's, high profile. I tried on the 400 sizers and they were proportionate but still felt huge. I'm slightly freaking out because I feel like that will just be too big for me and my very active lifestyle. Thoughts?

Breast Implant Size in an Lean Active Patient

Thank you for your question and provided photos.  Based on your photos and desired goals, you appear to be a good candidate for a breast augmenation.  I personally feel you would be an ideal candidate for a submuscular augmenation.  I do not feel implants under the muscle inhibit an active patient's lifestyle.  Regarding implant size, a number of factors need to be considered.  During consultation, breast measurement provide the surgeon guidance on implant options that would fit well for each particular patient.  I have each breast augmentation consult review multiple pre- and post-operative photos, as well as try on gel sizers in office.  Collectively, the patient should come away from the process with comfort regarding the planned implant size, projection, and shape.  I strongly suggest you to seek further discussion with your surgeon or seek a second opinion from a board certified plastic surgeon.  You need to feel comfortable with your operative plan.

I wish you the best,

Dr. Mooty

Lubbock Plastic Surgeon

DD plus

You want an implant in the 300cc range to go up 2 cup sizes. I bet a moderate plus would be my choice for you. You do not want 400cc unless you want to be DD plus. I hope this helps! Good Luck!

Gregory T. Lynam, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

When choosing implants

your height allows you to use larger implants if your comfortable with that.  You liked the look of the 400 cc sizers in your bra and its normal for you to think they look huge... but if you really liked that look, then go for it.  I always add 10% to my sizer volume to pick implants so your implant would be closer to 440 cc's.  And if you are adventurous, you can make rice sizers using 1.5 cups and 1.75 cups of rice in nylon stockings to create a 360 and 420 cc sizer and find an unlined bra and go out with equal sizes.  Rice into largest knee high you can find, twist repeatedly halfway up the stocking then invert to prevent it from coming apart and spilling, then place heavy book over it on the table to flatten it and take out the memory from the stocking.  It works!  Good luck!

Curtis Wong, MD

Tall girls, I need help! I'm 5'10", 135lbs, lean, active lifestyle and I'm having a hard time picking out a size.

The best way to determine the size is to try on the sizes as you have.  If you feel that they are too large, go a bit smaller.

Breast Implant Size in Lean Active Patient

Choosing the right size implant involves consideration of many factors, but for someone who is lean, active, and has a moderate amount of breast tissue to start, I think you will find implants in the 400cc range too large to be comfortable long term given what you are looking for.  Look at lots of pictures of patients with similar body builds and see which results most closely match your goal.  Depending on the implant shape and profile, you will probably get what you are looking for in a volume of 300-325cc.  Talk to your surgeon further about your concerns.  Good luck!

Kerry Owens, MD

Implant Size in a Tall, Lean Active Person

I usually do not answer questions about implant size, as choosing the size of an implant properly requires measurements and fitting the implant to your body, something that should not be done in this forum. However, a 400 cc implant is so far outside what it would appear you would need to meet your goals, I thought I needed to say so. I would, therefore, strongly encourage you to discuss this further or seek another plastic surgeon. I would also place textured implants on top of the muscle because of your "active lifestyle." If you use your arms a lot, placing the implants below the muscle will cause deformity every time you use your arms and can be quite problematic. Most of my patients are also active and most have sub glandular implants that look and feel very normal. Most also want to be proportionately larger similar to you. (See plasticsurgerytoday.com/breast-remodeling-highlands-north-carolina/breast-augmentation-2/)

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

I'm 5'10", 135lbs, lean, active lifestyle and I'm having a hard time picking out a size.

In my practice I would have sizers and implants available in the range of 350-400 ccs and would probably be placing final implants in the 350-380 cc range for an athletic woman of your height.  Final decision of implant choice is made when I can actually see the results of placement of sizers in the subpectoral pocket using either a nipple or axillary incision to avoid the inframammary scar.  There is of course no "right" answer and in the end you should trust your surgeon's selection based on your preoperative discussion and review of goal photos.  Enjoy your results and have a smooth recovery.  Regards,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Active lifestyle and breast augmentation

Hi and thank you for your question.

I am glad that you are taking your time trying to choose appropriately. I find these things helpful when choosing implant size with a patient:

1. Trying on implants with a bra and wearing them at home for a day or two

2. using the Vectra imaging system to help visualize how the breast will look

We always council patients with an active lifestyle. If someone has a very active lifestyle, it may be smartest to go with a slightly smaller implant. Ultimately, you want to be happy and if you base your decision solely on the "visual", you might not like that you feel the need to alter your lifestyle.

Best wishes!

Leilie Javan, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Size

Thank you for the question and size is an individual decision based on measurements and putting implants in a bra till you see the volume on your chest that you like.  Then your surgeon can pick the right shaped implant for that volume

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD