Is this a seroma? (photos)

I got breast implants a year ago. Last month, I went to see my surgeon because I still feel a lot of discomfort all the time. He said there were no issues and everything looks good. Two nights ago, I started experiencing extreme pain in my left breast. There's a lot of swelling and it feels really squishy compared to my right breast. My Dr thinks it is possibly fluid in the breast and I'm going in for an ultrasound this Monday. Will I have to remove the implants?

The first step is the USS. This will tell you if there is fluid / how much fluid and whether the implant is intact. If there is significant fluid you may need a fine needle aspiration of the fluid sent for cytology. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions at this stage and a support bra and anti-inflammatories may help until you have your USS.

Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Is this a seroma? (photos)

Thank you for the question and photo. It is unusual to develop swelling after 1 year unless you  had trauma. The US will help identify what kind of fluid. You may need aspiration by intervention radiologist and I would send it for culture. You may need to go back to the OR. It is best to have a close Follow up with your board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

#Explant #BreastImplantRemoval - Is this a seroma?

This is worrisome.  Assuming that they were symmetric until recently, then the sudden increase in size on one side, associated with pain, suggests an acute process.  It may just be a seroma but it could also be a hematoma (blood) if there was trauma.  Either way, you need to have it addressed by your plastic surgeon, as you are doing.  You will most likely need a drain, probably with implant removal and the insertion of a new implant.
Another concern, though (and particularly for late seromas) is a relatively new entity called Implant-Associated ALCL (Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma) which is, as it suggests, a form of cancer.  It is normally cured with implant removal but your surgeon should be aware of this and send the fluid for appropriate studies to exclude this.  It is rare and hopefully not the case, but it should be excluded aggressively.
Talk to your PS about this and move quickly to get your situation resolved.
I hope that this helps and good luck,
Dr. Alan EnglerMember of #RealSelf500

Seroma after breast implants

Thank you for sharing. Definitely be in contact with your PS. It is uncommon to develop fluid a year after breast implant augmentation. Imaging will help show if fluid is present. It often can be evacuated without surgery or removing the implants. Staying in communication with your PS will help guide you. Best wishes!

Seroma vs hematoma

If there is any evidence of infection then removal of implant pertinent. An non infected seroma does not require removal. A dream may be necessary 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS