Residual gynecomastia? (Photo)

I received Gynecomastia surgery 5 weeks ago and my left breast still sticks out as if I still have Gynecomastia. My PS stated that my stitches look indented, could this be what is causing the dome shape? Or is it residual tissue? When I press down in the Nipple and skin around it the inside is very hollow it feels as if there is nothing in there. Will this go away? Will the skin tighten up?

Residual Gynecomastia

Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. The compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal.

Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Residual gynecomastia?

Thank you for your question and photo. It is not uncommon to still have swelling and perhaps even a small amount of fluid collection in that area 5 weeks after surgery. It will take 3 to 4 months to see your final results. It will also take that long for your skin to contract. It is also very common for one side to initially be swollen more than the other. I recommend continued follow-up with your Plastic Surgeon until your see your final results. Best wishes

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon