Neck/chin lipo and implant or just neck lipo? (photos)

I have been to three different plastics surgeons, one said just implant the other said just lipo the other said lipo and implant. I've decided i would be happy with neck lipo but would the implant look good or is my chin not recessed enough to worry about the implant?

Neck lipo and chin implant?

Neck lipo will define your jaw but won´t improve your chin. What do you really want? From your photos it looks like you are a good candidate for a chin implant.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Neck/jawline liposuction is so easy that you should do that 1st.

Lipo the jawline/neck first and see how much improved your face looks. You probably don't need a chin implant if you look so much better with lipo alone.

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Chin augmentation, liposuction of the submentum, Kybella

From your profile pictures it looks as though you are a good candidate for a chin augmentation.  The implant would provide you with more projection and definition.  You may also be a good candidate for Kybella as an alternative to liposuction.  I have provided a link below that could be helpful to you.  It would be important for you to look at the different views and cases to see how a chin augmentation can make subtle changes with a high impact overall. 

David Stoker, MD

Neck lipo with or without chin augmentation

Hi Mlg4130,

Thanks for your question and photos. It certainly just depends on what you want. Neck lipo would certainly thin you out. Your chin could be augmented with Bellafill (a semi-permanent option) a silicone chin implant, osseous genioplasty or bone surgery to permanently move your "chin bone" forward or fat. All viable options but just depends on what you want, how long you expect it to last, and what you have in mind in terms of cost. A physical exam is required to see at what level your hyoid bone, the bone that determines how defined your  neck shape can be. Consider all things, perhaps see a couple of craniofacial plastic surgeons as a cephalogram would help determine if you truly need a chin! Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#genioplasty #chinaugmentation #necklipo        

Neck Liposuction with Chin Implant

Have some computer imaging done to see what it looks like with and without the chin implant…then you would know for sure.

Neck/chin lipo and implant or just neck lipo?

It appears clear from your photos that you will benefit from liposuction of your neck but may be disappointed without some form of chin augmentation to add to the aesthetic outcome.  Fat grafting of your chin may be adequate or for a more dramatic change placement of a small or medium chin implant should be considered.  I would not do liposuction or Kybella alone fearing that you will risk being disappointed because of the contour of your upper neck/chin without some form of chin augmentation.  Another option for you would be to consider a trial placement of filler injections to your chin to see how a larger chin works for you.

Good luck and enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Treatment options

You would benefit from both liposuction and an implant in my opinion.  Not to further confuse the issue, but you could also consider fat grafting to the chin (possibly adequate fat could be retrieved from your neck) instead of a prosthetic implant.  Ultimately you need to decide what bothers you most and focus there.

Earl E. Ferguson III, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with or without a chin implant is the best option

Judging from your pictures, lipo would be a good way to remove the extra fat under your chin. You may also want to ask your plastic surgeon about non-surgical Kybella injections to melt the under-chin fat. A chin implant would further define your neck contour.

The most important deciding factor is your personal wishes. If you are happy with the results lipo will produce, then you should choose the options you are most confident in. You could always augment your chin later if you wish. Choose the surgeon whose skills and experience you trust, and put your wishes and instincts first.  

Adam L. Basner, MD

Chin implant

Your primary problem it's not too much fat in your neck or Jenna.

It's a bony imbalance.

Correct this with a chin implant or potentially sliding genioplasty.

Liposuction it could be done at the same time but the liposuction is not what's going to give you the best improvement.

Take a look at the link below and look at the picture in the upper left-hand corner.

Should a chin implant platysma plasty and liposuction done.

By far the biggest improvement was from the chin implant.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Chin/Neck Jawline Contouring -- Kybella, Vaser/Thermi RF, Chin/Jaw Implants, Fat Grafting, Sculptra, Radiesse/Juvederm Voluma

We do a significant amount of jawline contouring and fat removal with a VASER/ThermiRF combination to get the best permanent outcomes. I would see an expert for a formal evaluation. Sometimes implants are needed to project the chin and this also helps the neck and jaw. Best, Dr. Emer.