Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck? (photos)

Debating between a full and mini tummy tuck, mainly because of the scar. I'm 5'6, 160lb lost 50 lbsin the last 2 years have two previous c sections. Mainly don't like the bottom pouch

Full vs mini tummy tuck

If you have excessive skin throughout your abdomen and a week abdominal wall above and below your belly button you're more than likely going to prefer the results obtained from a full tummy tuck. If your skin laxity is largely contained in the lower abdomen along with the weakness in the abdominal wall, then a mini-tummy tuck is ideal.  If you have a significant amount of lower abdominal skin, then the scar from an mini-tummy tuck is not going to be that much shorter than the full.  The bottom line that you must address is which priority do you have -  The flattest abdomen you can obtain or the best results you can have with a mini with the benefits of having a faster recovery time, less expensive, and a slightly shorter scar. 

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

It depends on what you are expecting. I think a mini tummy tuck will take the overhanging skin away, but that is about it, your waist and upper abdomen will still look as it does now

Julio Garcia, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck?

Based on your photos alone it is difficult to say, You will need an in person assessment to determine if you are a good candidate. A full Tummy Tuck removes excess fat, tightens the abdominal skin, and repairs separated abdominal muscles. Most of the time a full tummy tuck is needed. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Full tummy tuck.

You will need full tummy tuck. Mini tummy tuck will do nothing to benefit you. As a matter of fact mini tummy tucks are only recommended for rare exceptional cases. Most of times full or even extended tummy tuck is needed.

Vasdev Rai, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck?

The tummy tuck will produce a much better result for you, and the scar should not be any longer than necessary.

Beverly Hills, CA

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck?

I am asked this question almost daily in my practice.  Most patients complain of a "pooch" in the lower abdomen following pregnancy and/or weight loss.  Some of this outward bulge can be attributed to fat but in patients who have had children, part of that is also abdominal muscle separation.  The lower portion of the abdominal muscle is inherently weaker and more prone to diastasis.  A mini tummy tuck will address only a very small area of excess skin in the lower abdomen and does not allow for adequate muscle repair.  Liposuction can be done at the same time, but the mini tummy tuck scar will be almost as long as a full tummy tuck scar.  Based on your photos, I believe you would be disappointed in the results of a mini tummy tuck with or without liposuction and would achieve a flat abdomen only with a full tummy tuck.  I would advise an in-person exam with board certified plastic surgeons to give you a detailed surgical plan and recommendation.  Best of luck.

Michael Brucker, MD

Full tummy tuck or mini?

Thank you for your question and photographs. Women who have undergone C-sections and weight loss are never in my opinion appropriate candidates for mini tummy tuck surgery. The results would be minimal relative to what could be gained with a full tummy tuck. In my practice I would only offer you a full tummy tuck. Make sure that you review photographs of other patients showing both the position and extent of incisions as well as the potential benefits. The improvement with a full tummy tuck is often if not usually dramatic.
Be certain that you are comfortable with your plastic surgeon and his/her recommendations before proceeding. Best wishes for a lovely improvement and great outcome. I also recommend that you watch the video link above for discussion of the differences between a full tummy tuck and a mini tummy tuck.
Warm regards

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction. This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. With good surgical technique, you could have an outstanding result. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question and photos. This is a question I get in my practice a lot. I believe that most patients understand that the difference between a mini and full tummy tuck is the length of the incision. This has nothing to do with the type of tummy tuck you have. The difference is in the length of the underlying muscle repair: from belly button to the pubic bone for the mini and from the breast bone to the pubic bone in the full. With modern surgical techniques, like the EVE tummy tuck you can have a full muscle plication (which you need based on the photos) with a short low incision at the pubic bone level. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation/evaluation. Good luck.

Mini VS Full Tummy Tuck

It can get really confusing in choosing which Tummy Tuck to have and reading online often does not really clear things up. 
For clarity ask yourself the following questions:
- do you have a BMI under 30 preferably 27 and under?
- how many children have you had and how large were they?
- are you done having children?
- do you have a skin overhang/aka pooch/mommy tummy?
- do you have a flat butt or "Muffin Top"?

if you are not obese, have no serious medical issues, do not smoke and are done having kids then you can have a Tummy Tuck. 

Which one? The more children you had and the larger the child, the more permanently stretched the muscles are. In women with multiple pregnancies or one large baby the muscles are permanently separated and stretched and no amount of exercise will bring them together. In these women an aggressive tightening of the muscles with a Full Tummy Tucj needs to be done if you want a flat tummy. Not repairing or partially repairing the muscles results is disappointing outcomes. 

The amount of skin overhang determines the length of the transverse scar. If you have a small amount of overhang the scar would be short. If not, a longer scar would be required. 

if you have a "muffin top" with lack of definition of the flanks and upper butt buns then sculpting liposuction of the lower back and flanks could be done at the time of the Tummy Tuck for much nicer results. 

Peter Aldea MD
Memphis, TN