Do I need a chin implant? (Photo)

I tend to have a double chin when I look down and my chin is short. Can this be fixed with a chin implant or would I need to get liposuction on my neck? Or is there any other way to fix that?

Do you need a chin implant?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Short Chin

Your short chin is best treated by a siding genioplasty rather than an implant. This is because it will be better at pulling out your neck as the chin bone brings the muscle further forward. The sliding genioplasty would be combined with submental/neck liposuction as well to get the best result possible.

Chin implant candidate

Thanks for sharing.  I agree with the general consensus that a chin implant will strengthen your profile view and give more balance to the face.  Additionally, some chin liposuction will also help to define your neck and jawline and would look nice with the chin implant. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

Would I benefit from a chin implant and neck liposuction?

Probably yes to both the chin augmentation and neck liposuction but without the benefit of a physical exam you surgical plan might be adjusted.  We need to consider how your teeth are coming together( your occlusion), how much neck fullness is amenable to suction and your skin tone.  Call a board certified plastic surgeon near you for a proper evaluation.  Best Wishes 

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Do I Need a Chin Implant

A chin implant will increase chin projection, jaw definition, and the neck contour. However, simultaneous liposuction will enhance your result.

Do I need a chin implant?

No one ever needs a chin implant, and that's a personal decision that only the patient can make. From the limited photographs, it appears that there is a weak and recessive mandible, and fatty deposits in the neck.  A chin implant can help augment the mandible forward to help with facial balance and proportions. Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and are placed through an incision underneath the chin. In our practice, we use Implantech silastic chin implants for over 25 years. The fatty  deposits in the neck have to be removed with liposuction. Both procedures can be performed together or separately depending upon the patient's desires. For more  information and many examples of both procedures performed in combination, please see the link and the video below

Chin implant and possible neck liposuction

Thank you for sharing. You should see board certified plastic surgeon in person for a full and proper evaluation. The pictures do suggest that an implant may be helpful. Liposuction may also be helpful for reducing some of the excess in the neck submental area in addition. Hope this helps. Best wishes!

Do I need a chin implant?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak, as are the back segments of the jaw line and there is some excess fat in the neck.  

I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.  Liposuction, to reduce the excess fat below the chin and entire neck, can be performed at the same time.

The back portion of your jaw line is a bit weak and can be augmented, without making your face appear masculine, using precise placement of a dermal filler (I prefer using Restylane Lyft).  

Hope this helps.

Chin and neckline

Thank you for your pictures! To answer your question, the best way to determine what procedure you may benefit from the most is to go and see a doctor who can then examine you and give you a full assessment.  That being said, based on the pictures given, I would tell you that you would certainly benefit from a chin implant - you could also address the area under your chin from the same incision as the chin implant.  Best of luck! 

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

Based on the photos you provided, I think a chin implant would certainly my improve your facial aesthetics. You would probably also benefit from removal of some of the tissue under the chin as well, which can be performed at the same time and through the same incision as the chin implant.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon