4 Weeks Gynecomastia Post Op - Still have breasts. How do I know if there's still breast tissue in there or not?

I had gynecomastia surgery 4 weeks ago and I notice my breasts still point outwards, I feel hard masses on my chest, will these every go down? Also one of my nipples is like protruding outward will that go away? How do I know if there's still breast tissue in there or not?

What to Expect after Gynecomastia Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Early Post Operative Healing

Hi Jerrtyo,

Thanks for the post. Photos would be helpful to give more specific recommendations. That being said, at 4 weeks you are very early in the healing process and this is also when scar tissue can start to become prevalent. If the hard masses were there right after the surgery, it is likely residual breast tissue. If they only recently occurred, then it is likely scar tissue. I recommend you follow up with your plastic surgeon regarding this because if it is scar tissue, massage and other interventions can help with it.

Sincerely,

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Swelling

Thank you for your question but without photos or an examination or even knowing what was done it is impossible to accurately answer

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Swelling after Gynecomastia surgery

It's not unusual; and to be expected, to have asymmetric swelling following surgery. You definitely should see your plastic surgeon to ensure that you do not have a late developing seroma that may be the cause of the swelling. If you are cleared from this standpoint, you may want to discuss anti-inflammatory meds or massages with your doctor. Be patient and stay close for assurance with your doctor. 

Sean T. Lille, MD

Post-op gynrcomastia

Thank you for your question. It is normal to have swelling for several months after this procedure. It is not unusual to have swelling on one side more than the other. However, the best way to be sure that what you are seeing is normal is to continue to follow up with your Plastic Surgeon. Don't be afraid to go back and ask if what you see is expected at this time. The surgeon who did the procedure is the best one to answer this. If, however, you still are not satisfied, I would recommend seeing a second board certified Plastic Surgeon for another opinion. Best wishes

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Not sure

You will need to be evaluated in person to determine if you have residual tissue or swelling! Seek a board certified plastic surgeon.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS