3 months after gynecomastia surgery, chest is very lopsided. Should I get a revision? (Photo)

I had Gynecomastia Surgery 3 months ago and my right side of my chest is very flat and smooth. The left side has a considerable more amount of fat in it and a large portion of residual tissue. Should I get a revision? How much do revisions usually cost?

Asymmetry 3 Months Post Op

#Asymmetry during the healing process is not at all uncommon after any breast surgery. Also, your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. 

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a #revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. 
Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

3 months after gynecomastia surgery, chest is very lopsided. Should I get a revision

Thank you for submitting your question.  Final results for gynecomastia surgery take 6 months. A  revision can be performed if there is visible asymmetry after 6 months.  The cost of revision varies on the Plastic Surgeon. Normally, the surgeon's fee in waived.  There is a cost of the facility and anesthesia if needed.  Some revisions can be done under local.  Discuss your concerns with your Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes

Unequal results after Gynecomastia surgery

Thanks for the question. You may want to wait it out an additional 1-3 months to allow any residual swelling and tissue contraction to occur. Otherwise, I would return to your plastic surgeon after another month and let them evaluate. You may very well have residual tissue, which in that case, revisional surgery will be required.  Continue to take care of yourself with compression garments. 

Sean T. Lille, MD

Revision of gynecomastia

Thanks for your inquiry on revisions of gynecomastia. Of course how sever the original problem was impacts the final result. That being said often revisions can be a much more minor procedure and often performed in the office with local numbing style anesthesia. Most often your surgeon will have a policy about revisions that proves to be much less expensive than if you see a brand new surgeon.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Revision

Thank you for your question and if there is residual tissue on one side vs the other then you would benefit from revision 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Asymmetry

I am sorry to hear that you are unhappy with the asymmetry of your chest surgery.  It would be helpful to see your before photos to see how asymmetric you were before surgery.  Assuming very good symmetry before, and based on your description that there is more fat on your left side, then a revision would be helpful to get you more satisfied with your surgery.  From looking at your photos, it seems as though the problem more lies in the fact that the skin tightening is better on one side compared to the other.  Certainly this could be because more liposuction was done superficially on one side compared to the other.  I would certainly go back to your surgeon and express your concerns to see if this is correctable.

Tito Vasquez, MD, FACS
Southport Plastic Surgeon