Underwire bra one week after breast augmentation with IMF incision?

Is it normal for a doctor to recommend underwire bra after revision surgery only one week after? with IMF incisions? my last two surgeries i was instruct to NOT wear one for at least a month...why would I be told to this time? side not, my right breast is DEFINITELY lower in the fold than my left and neither one is moving 4 weeks post op. I am worried I will need a revision..again!

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after revisionary breast surgery. You will find that there is no "normal" when it comes to the use of bras; practices will vary, with every plastic surgeon having a differing opinion. Ultimately best to follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Underwire after surgery

Hi,

I typically have patients wait a full 6 weeks before using an underwire. Talk to your surgeon about his/her reasoning. Be sure you are massaging your implants since that is very important after revision and can help implants fall into place. 

Best wishes in your recovery,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Depends

It really is just surgeon dependent. I don not prefer patients use them, but that is for an initial augmentation. If your capsule is well formed and this was not a big revision case you are probably fine. There is no literature on any of this it is just anecdotal. So each surgeon will have a different opinion. '

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Trust your surgeon's bra recommendation after revision

Your surgeon may recommend an underwire for specific reasons after pocket revision, based on exactly what was done and how to best support the repair.

Richard Baxter, MD

Post breast augmentation underwire

After primary augmentations, we rarely use underwires in the acute early healing period. But when it is necessary to modify the pocket around the implants, it is customary to add support to the repair using a quality bra with an underwire.

Yes

Yes, depending on what was done for the revision. I have used underwire bra very early in the postoperative course to help set the lower fold and provide support. The risk is that you can irritate the incision while it is healing. 

P

Wire helps secure the folds

Thanks for the great question. Sometimes to make sure the fold forms in the correct positions some surgeons will have patients wear a bra with an underwire right after surgery. Other surgeons may use tape to tack the fold down. If you don't understand why your surgeon wants you to do this, just ask them. I think most surgeons would be willing to explain why this post-op period is a little different from the last one. Best of luck!

~Dr. Sieber

Your surgeon knows best

The chioce of a plastic surgeon whether or not to recommend the wearing or not wearing of an undererwire bra after breast augmentation is related to many factors. In a revision operation, where either nothing is done to the bottom of the pocket or the implant is placed under the gland, in each of those situations, I might allow my patient to wear in underwire bra this early postoperatively. If some attempt was made to elevate the crease, then it makes sense to me to take the tension of gravity off of this repair and recommend an underwire bra immediately postoperatively. I would recommend that you have your chosen plastic surgeon explain their choice and the reasons for it so that you'll feel better with it. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS