Is Tumescent Lipo w/transfer to Buttocks a safe procedure?

I see reviews when under general, mostly. I'm looking at getting this done while awake. I've only seen a few reviews while awake. Is this considered safer?

I would not recommend having the procedure done under local as this can be extremely painful.  If you do not want a lot of liposuction or transfer you may be able to tolerate it.

Unbearable while awake

Whether or not you are awake or asleep, the risk of injecting fat is fixed.  It certainly is not safer.  The significant pain would be unbearable while awake.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction/ Liposculpture/ Fat Transfer/ Vaser/ Hi Definition Procedures/Liposuction Revision/Tummy Tuck/Body Contouring

I appreciate your question.

Vaser assisted liposuction utilizes ultrasound to emulsify or melt felt prior to removal. It is also used to etch or define the muscles and normal anatomy to enhance the results. I use a specialized technique to remove the deeper fat areas and sculpt the superficial fat, so that one can achieve the goal of having not only a flatter stomach but also a more defined and curvaceous body if wanted. I can use this technique on the arms as well.

I also use the fat removed to graft into the pecs for men or breasts for women as well as into the arms and other areas to further enhance muscle definition.

The best candidates for the procedure already have a good muscular base.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.  Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic plastic surgery and high definition body contouring.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Lip and fat transfer to buttock under local

I perform this procedure under a general (completely asleep) anesthetic. In my opinion it is more comfortable for the patient and the surgeon. There are some surgeons that will perform this under local with sedation. If you choose to go that route I would choose a surgeon that does many of these under sedation. 

Surjit S. Rai, MD (Dallas Plastic Surgeon) 

Surjit S. Rai, MD
Dallas Physician

Awake

Awake liposuction has been safely performed by many doctors for several years. The risks of general anesthesia, although very low, can mostly be eliminated. Fewer drugs are used for and during the procedure, but it usually takes longer.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Tumescent Liposuction

This depends on the patient and the specifics of the procedure. It can be done, but I'd highly recommend you discuss this with you surgeon as they will give you the best insight. 

Lipo and buttock augmentation

I have performed BBL's under local. It can be done in the right patient.    Best of luck with your decision to move forward.

Liposuction with fat transfer under local

This can be done, can be tolerated, however, the procedure can become uncomfortable despite preop assurances that it won't. Sometimes the local stops working and the procedure would have to be stopped, which could jeopardize results. An anesthesiologist can't be brought in for IV sedation/ general anesthesia- it must be arranged ahead of time.

Also, with only local, volumes must be smaller as no IV fluids are given. This can make recovery and results worse.

I prefer local for small areas, shorter surgeries, and not for fat grafting. For patient safety and comfort, an anesthesiologist should be present. While this increases costs, the benefits and results are well worth it and much better than a redo under anesthesia weeks later at additional costs.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to confirm you are a candidate as well as discuss your options and expectations. 

Harry T. Haramis, MD, FACS
Montclair Plastic Surgeon