Do I appear to be a candidate for Smart Lipo or a Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I do have stretch marks however, the fat on my belly is more bothersome to me. I'm not sure that I can take the time off required for a TT. Would smartlipo be a good option for me? I'd like to do the BBL too.

SmartLipo

SmartLipo will reduce your girth and has some skin tightening effect. The reduction in size should please you and the recovery is faster than a tummy tuck.  An exam for muscle diastasis will determine if surgery is needed to tighten your abdominal muscles.

Vaser uses ultrasound to break up the fat instead of light.

I offer both in my practice in addition to SculpSure a nonsurgical laser fat reduction.

Contours contours contours!

What a great question! This is a dilemma that many patients face. Tummy tuck or lipo? I am so happy that you are doing research on this topic. In my opinion, the answer lies in what your goals are. If you are trying to get rid of stretch marks and a "pooch" (aka rectus diastasis), then you will need a tummy tuck. If you are looking for better contours and improving your curves, then you might be a terrific candidate for liposuction.

Think about honest and realistic goals for yourself and discuss them frankly with your plastic surgeon and he or she will guide you to the best decision for you and your timeline.

Good luck and good health! :)

Amir Nasir, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction vs tummy tuck

Thanks for your question. It would require consultation in-person to really be sure, but it looks like you would benefit the most from a true tummy tuck. Yes, that involves more surgery and more recovery that liposuction of any type. But, the risk of doing liposuction (even Smartlipo which can provide a small amount of skin tightening) would be skin excess. I sometimes have patients tell me that they are willing to deal with extra skin as long as their clothes fit better, and so that might be something you could consider. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo/tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photographs.

I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to determine which you are a better candidate for. If you are young, healthy and have good skin elasticity then you would achieve good results from smart lipo, if not then a tummy tuck may be necessary. I offer Smartlipo Triplex for patients in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas looking for a minimally invasive alternative to traditional liposuction. SmartLipo loosens then removes fat and tightens the overlying skin, reducing bulges of fat while simultaneously toning the body. It also offers tissue retraction through soft tissue coagulation, reliable, controlled energy delivery, reduced liposuction procedure time and patient downtime, less bleeding and bruising than traditional liposuction and high-definition body sculpting capabilities. Smartlipo also delivers precision and versatility with wavelengths that are ideal for smaller and larger fat deposits, tissue retraction, fibrous areas, or secondary liposuction cases.
Best of luck in your endeavors!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Makeover with Tummy Tuck and VASER Hi Def Liposuction

This is tough to answer from pictures, because it can't determine skin laxity which would indicate a need for a Tummy Tuck. If you are a candidate it can be performed at the same time as liposuction. I recommend a hi-def procedure like VASER liposuction. I use VASER HI DEF with ThermiRF, ultrasound and fat grafting to get the most fat removal, skin tightening, and contouring. See a hi-def physique expert for a formal consultation. Best, Dr. Emer