What is the benefit of paying for the O-shot if I don't have issues with arousal or climax?

I'm looking into getting a minora labiaplasty and the doctor I've chosen is pushing the O-shot. It's $500 and I don't think it's necessary when I can have that money go toward a session of Thermiva. I don't have issues with arousal or reaching climax so is this something I should just say I absolute don't want and don't need to pay for?

Reasons for the O-Shot

Thank you for your question.  I would only recommend that you get the O-Shot if you have concerns with urinary incontinence of sexual function.  Now, your surgeon may be recommending PRP as an adjunct for the labiaplasty.  Depending the the type of labiaplasty procedure, the healing is generally very uneventful and heals very well.  There are certain techniques, however, that places the majority of the scar on the front of the labia which can be a source of discomfort and adding PRP may be beneficial.  If your doctor is recommending PRP and will be harvesting your blood anyway, then there may be little harm in doing the O-Shot as well.

No need

If you truly don't have an issue with incontinence or orgasm then it is not necessary.  Now your surgeon maybe thinking of the healing component especially if you have diabetes,etc. which the PRP will help with.  Similar to ortho procedures where PRP is used in back and foot surgery.  Ask him if the point is orgasm or the regenerative aspect of the O-shot that may benefit you post-op.

Samer Muala, MD
Phoenix Family Physician

Benefit of O shot

If you don't have any issues with incontinence or orgasms , I agree with you that you don't "need" the Oshot.  In my practice , I have seen 2 groups of women who are requesting the Oshot.  There is a subset of women who notice orgasms are not as strong or easy to obtain as they have aged.  These are perfect candidates for the O shot and approximately 90% will see improvement.  On the other hand, there are other women who are having great sexual relations (without any problems) and they are looking for something to make it excellent.  The analogy I make is similar to women who are already in great physical shape but they are always looking for the next best thing to help them get stronger, faster and leaner.  Hope that helps :)

Amy Brenner, MD
Cincinnati OB/GYN

No Shot

I agree if you don't have any issues with climax or arousal the O shot may not be necessary. If you have vaginal laxity and dryness issues the ThermiVa may give you better results combinated with the labioplasty.

John Hettiarachchi, DO, FACS, FPMRS
Charlotte Urologist