A way to fix uneven eyelids? (photos)

So when I was younger, I had a baseball thrown at my right eye. Ever since then my right eye has always felt more swollen. It doesn't hurt anymore obviously; i just can't open it all the way all the time anymore. If I really concentrate I can but I know it's uneven all the time and it kills me. I don't know if it was the baseball that really affected it,maybe I didn't notice it until the baseball incident, but it gets bad sometimes and I just want to know if there's something I can do to fix it.

Doctor Answers 5

Eyelids uneven

Hi Lunaagri,
Thanks for your question and photo. It it hard to say exactly what you need since you need a physical exam would be required to get an idea of what may be scarred or damaged from the baseball. It can be corrected but it depends on how. Seek a board certified surgeon with a speciality in eyes to get the best outcome. Good Luck!

All the best,  Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS, @uneveneyes @blepharoplasty@docmata #drcarlosmata Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Enophthalmos after trauma

See an oculoplastic specialist for evaluation. See following link for enophthalmos after orbital fracture. 

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 72 reviews

You have right upper eyelid ptosis.

You would benefit from a very detailed consultation to determine what which of the ptosis procedures are right for you.  You should also be assessed for any other trauma related issues to the right side.

Kenneth D. Steinsapir, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Uneven eyelids, proptosis or enophthalmos...

The reason for your asymmetry is not clear from your photograph and history. The right eye appears proptotic (or left eye enophthalmic). Blunt orbital injuries most often cause enophthalmos secondary to the orbital floor fracture and sinking of the orbital floor (and/or medial wall). On the other hand, there could be a maxillary sinus problem on the right. Your best action would be to make an appointment with an Oculoplastic surgeon to assess your eyelid and orbital examination thoroughly. Once you have a clinical diagnosis, and possibly an imaging study of the eye sockets, your doctor can make recommendations to repair the problem. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Eye Asymmetry

From your description and photo, there is not enough information to give you a diagnosis and determine the best course of action (if any).  Ocular injuries can be quite complex, so the root cause of your condition must first be determined.   I strongly advise you see an ophthalmologist to further examine you and determine the next steps.
I wish you well!

Paul K. Holden, MD
Phoenix Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.