10 years since Breast Lift with Implants - should I replace my implants? (photo)

Hello, I am a 33 yr old mother of 3. I had my BA & BL together 10yrs ago Feb 2004, after my last child. I NEVER had a single complication from start to now. Over time I gained and lost and finally balanced out at 131lbs at 5'3 1/2. My implants are 10 yrs old and breast are sagging a bit. Just with the fact that they are 10 yrs old is their a need to replace them? I have added a picture. Please any feedback.

Do I need to replace my breast implants

As long as you are happy with the look and feel of your breasts/implants you don't need to rush in and change them. If they are silicone implants, their risk of rupture and leak does become higher each year and thus after ten years it has been traditionally recommended to  consider replacing them with a new pair. Glad to help. 

10 yr old implants

Thanks for your pictures.  Your implants are fine.  If they are not causing you medical issues the leave them alone

Do I need to replace my 10 year old breast implants.

It is not unusual for patients to consult with me and ask me if they need to have their implants changed at regular intervals. They have heard from some doctors implants need to be removed and replaced regularly in some kind of "preventive maintenance" program me.

I am far from alone in believing this is misleading. I believe the chances of implant leakage is very low for many years, only rises gradually over time, and that operating on otherwise well patients without a reason when they have an otherwise satisfactory result, exposes them to risk, and expenses which are entirely unnecessary. The figure of approximately 1% of implants developing leaking is often cited, and while it may not be entirely accurate, is a good estimate.

Saline implants are easy to evaluate for integrity; they are either intact or they are not, (like drum skins, or speakers) there is no in between. If they leak, the body absorbs the saline and they rapidly deflate

There is no scientific literature to support regular implant exchange, nor does the manufacturers’ product literature suggest this.

This is in spite of the fact we never suggest implants will last a “lifetime”. The truth is, a leaking saline implant results in saline being absorbed; the body is 70% composed to begin with, and a leak because of the resulting volume loss is immediately obvious.
Leaking silicone implants are no longer even suspected of causing diseases.

The diagnosis of a leaked silicone implant is more difficult to make than saline. Generally there will be little or no external sign of a leak, and it is for this reason in the USA the FDA suggests all patients with silicone containing implants to undergo regular MRI exams to screen for leakage ( mammograms and breast ultrasound are of less value in screenings for leaks). However Canada, like Britain, France, Germany, Australia , New Zealand and other countries with similarly advanced medical systems like ours, do not feel this kind of screening for leaks is needed.

Benjamin Gelfant, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Need to replace implants

I do not routinely advise patients to replace implants if there are no problems at the present time.  Things to be concerned about would be pain, infection, rupture or capsular contracture.

10 years since Breast Lift with Implants - should I replace my implants?

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  As long as you are not having any issues with your breast implants (i.e., rupture, infection, or capsular contracture causing pain or significant deformity) there is no necessity to have your implants removed or exchanged. 

I do appreciate your findings of some breast asymmetry. It is expected that your breast will continue to change with age, weight loss/gain, pregnancy, breast feeding, etc.  If you become dissatisfied with the shape, asymmetry, implant rippling/hardness, or position of your breast/implants, then another breast lift with/out implant exchange may be considered.  Hope that this helps!  Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Breast Lift with Implants

Hi Motherlylove!
You look great.  No action steps needed.  You know the ole' sayin', if it ain't broke, don't fix it!  All the best, "Dr. Joe"

Thanks for the question. In my opinion thats depend of what are you looking if you want to be fuller or smaller you can replace it or if there is a rupture that have to be fix it. Its no a rule to replace your implants size after 10 year, if your still like their appearence. 

Manuel Marte, MD

Hi and thanks for this question.  It is asked often by women with implants.  There is no hard-fast rule about when an implant should be replaced.  If they feel soft to you and you like the shape of your breasts and where they sit, then leave them be.  Since saline implants deflate when they break, there is no need to worry about a rupture that is undetected.  There are women who do come in and replace their saline implants with silicone implants for some reasons such as wrinkling of the saline implants and a desire for a softer feel.  Sagging of your breasts does happen over time and may require some type of lift procedure.  Hope this helps.

Robert J. Spies, MD
Paradise Valley Plastic Surgeon

Satisfied with breast shape no need to exchange implants

If your breasts are soft and you like the appearance then there is no reason to consider a surgical breast revision.  

Implant revision?

I always say that "if it ain't broke then don't fix 'em."  There is not hard and fast rule about implant replacement just because they have been in for 10 years.