Can I wear a regular bra for one afternoon/evening?

i am 5 weeks post surgery today (breast aug). I also follow rules to a T. My doctor said to wear my post surgery bras 24/7 for the first 6 weeks. Can I wear a normal bra today, for Thanksgiving, or should I attempt to make this ugly bra work around a different outfit?

My best advice is to first check with your plastic surgeon in general about what you can specifically wear.  As a plastic surgeon specializing in aesthetic breast surgery, I cannot think of any reason you could not wear a "non underwire" bra for one day at 5 weeks after surgery.  Most of us plastic surgeons were trained to "restrict" the use of "underwire" bras typically for 6 weeks after surgery because in most cases if the incision is on the bottom of the breast we did not want a "wire" against that area for 6 weeks to allow things to completely heal properly. Now there are many makes and models of bras that do not have any "underwire" at all, and I tell my patients that it is fine wear one of these for an event, holiday, or special occasion, as long as it is NOT an "underwire"- style bra.  I would still check with your plastic surgeon on this first.  I hope this helps!

Doctors orders

Always best to follow your surgeons directions. It's possible following online/real self advice could jeopardize your results and/or void revision policy. Best of luck. 

Greetings 

Thank you for your question, Normally you can start to wear your normal bra without wirelines but however do consult your surgeon first for final solution.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a regular bra

I'd first notify your plastic surgeon of your situation and I'm pretty sure he would allow the use of a non-underwire bra for this occasion.  Underwires are usually avoided in order to keep any irritation off the incision site. 

R. McIntyre Bridges, MD
Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Post op care

Since every surgeon has his or her own post op protocol, I would say speak with your surgeon. At 5 weeks, you should probably be fine, but he or she knows your case best -- Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Alternate Bra

Thank you for your question. I recommend that you contact your Plastic Surgeon to ask them. In my practice, I allow patients to supplement their surgical bra with another soft, supportive wire-free bra when needed. Your Plastic Surgeon will have their own preferences.

All the best

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend you check with your plastic surgeon and follow his/her advice since your surgeon is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Post-op instruction

Hi, MrsMofTX
Each plastic surgeon differs in his/her surgical technique and post-op instructions.
Patients also heal at different rates.
Depending on patients and their implants settling, I ask my patients to wear regular bra after 4-6 weeks.
Although you should check back with your plastic surgeon, wearing a regular bra for one day should not affect your overall outcome.

Thanksgiving is over

and wearing a regular bra should not hurt you in any way so I hope you were able to wear something you wanted to.  Each surgeon has their own 'rules' but my patients are allowed to wear regular bras when they want to support their results and prevent any further settling.  And this has never hurt any of them so I hope you were able to enjoy your Thanksgiving, wearing the outfit you desired.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Augmentation

Hi & thank you for your question.
It is best to follow your surgeons instructions. Check with him/her if this would be an option for you. Best of luck & enjoy your results!