Huge gap after wedge stitches split? (Photo)

Left labia split around day 3 and right one around day 8. Now I'm on day 11 and looking like this :( it's not that I have a massive hole, but it keeps bleeding and itching so I'm scared it's infected. Seeing my surgeon ASAP but would love second opinions! Thank you!

Yep

This was a full thickness wedge, which isn't correct. It's supposed to be a partial thickness excision so that the deeper tissues are left, not a pizza slice wedge through and through. The stitching was inadequate as it opened up so soon.No time now for a revision. Dressing care for the next 6 months, and then find a DIFFERENT doctor for a revision, one with more experience. Travel if you need to.

Labial gap

You definitely have a gap. Best to let it heal by second intention, do wound care daily, and let it heal totally. Then, 3-6 months later, do a repair/revision. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labia separation

As the inventor of the wedge labiaplasty, there was probably a technical error that resulted in the disruption of your labiaplasty.  You will need a complete repair. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA -Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Improperly performed labiaplasties come apart & look worse than before surgery

If your wedge incision split as badly as it appears on your photo, one or both of the following occurred:
1. Your surgeon did not "support" the incision line properly with 2 layers of sub-cutaneous ("under the skin") sutures in addition to the skin closure, and/or
2. You did improper "shearing" activities post-op.

Properly performed V-wedges usually don't come apart, just like properly performed linear labiaplasties don't "denude" the lips/opening. Experience, experience, experience...

What to do?? You will need to wait until at least 3 months to be evaluated for revision, and wait until at least 5-6 months to have the revision performed. But, wait... Not rarely, when all is healed, even though there has been a separation, since a lot of redundant labia is gone, it doesn't look that bad... The link below shows how properly performed LPs should appear...

Michael P Goodman, MD
Davis, CA, USA

Huge gap..

Thanks for submitting your concerns and photo. You are right that it split apart and I would add that doing a wedge resection along was not enough in your case. You also should have had a clitoral hood reduction which would have made the area of dissection more symmetrical. 

I would encourage you to see your surgeon, but do not have them place new stitches in this area to correct it, it will now need to heal on it's own. You can then consider having a revision with a surgeon who has experience with corrective cosmetic vaginal surgery. 

Hope this helps!

Kurian Thott, MD
Fredericksburg OB/GYN