Will an Areola Reduction and Implant Perk Up my Breasts? (photo)

Hi, will an Areola reduction and Implant perky up my breast? I’m 24 and my breast are hereditary, but I’m getting them done this year. I have some money saved but trying to figure out what I need done. I want D sized breast with a smaller Areola ( yet still a little larger than average areola) and perky, yet relatively natural looking. Also I want no rippling, so I’m wondering in my case if Silicone is my best option. Please help doctors!

Areolar reduction as breast lift

As others have said, your plan is well thought through and will work nicely.  Things you might also consider are:

1. Your areola may well re stretch if you have a largish implant because it will be under some tension on the closure.  It can be useful to reduce it a second time ( an office procedure) 6 months after the main procedure if this is necessary.

2. Consider tattooing of the scar at the areolar border once the scar has settled.  It can make the areola look nice and round, and will "paint out" the visible scar. This works very well when your areola are pigmented.

Very good luck with it.

Reduction of a huge areola and augmentation

Your areola is very large, and the D-cup implant wil place considerable pressure behind which can cause a relapse as the nipple stretches. If you do expect the nipple to be larger than average at the end you should be alright. We like the idea of the silicone gel implant. Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Implant and areola reduction

You may find that an implant with a smaller base width to make your breasts project more forward from your chest wall and body can be sufficient, making a breast lift unnecessary. Consider the Allergan Inspira TruForm 2 implant and an areola reduction.

Perky breasts

The photos you have posted show a breast with a very large areola with some components of a tuberous breast.  Surgery on this type of breast will require a more experienced surgeon for the best result.   By reducing the areola and placing a moderate sized silicone implant under the muscle, you should be able to achieve an enhanced, natural looking silhouette.

Will an Areola Reduction and Implant Perk Up my Breasts?

Thank you for your question and photo. I recommendation is for you to get a breastlift plus implants you do not need reduction.

Thank you for the question. Yes, it sounds like your plan would give you great results.  For the choice of implants, it is best done during an in person exam.  It would always be best to visit your board-certified plastic surgeon and get a full evaluation for your concerns. Best of luck, Dr. Michael Omidi.

An in-person exam with a board-certified plastic surgeon is the best way to assess your needs and provide true medical advice.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Areola Reduction and Gel Implants

You have thoughtfully considered your options, and the thought of an areola reduction and gel implants makes sense. Confirm through consultation and exam with 3 - 4 experienced and expert board certified plastic surgeons.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Areola reduction plus implant to perk up breasts

You are the perfect candidate for a peri-areolar lift with sub-pectoral silicone gel implants. I've done many of these and as long as the implant is not too heavy and a permanent stitch is placed around the areola to keep it from re-stretching-you should not have a problem. However, since you have a significant amount of 'low lying' breast tissue, internal repositioning of that tissue needs to be accomplished to avoid the 'double bubble' phenomenon. This can easily be done by applying the Ultimate Breast technique. Kuddos to you for doing your research before commiting to an elective procedure! Best wishes,

Dr. H

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Areolar Reduction and Implants

Yes, some form of areolar reduction as part of a breast lift, and breast implants should give you a pleasing result. Silicone gel implants are also recommended for minimizing potential rippling.  As you have already been advised, you should see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who is also a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. During that consultation alternatives, risks, and benefits of various aspects of the procedures will be discussed.

I would like to address what two other doctors mentioned in their responses to you regarding placement of the implant. As we move into the 21st century, cosmetic plastic surgery education is employing more evidence based medicine to create practice guidelines.  Although data is limited regarding the 'best breast lift', there is a lot of data regarding breast implants. Specifically, the lowest risk of complications occurs with implants placed under the pectoralis muscle.  Althought there are potential problems associated with this, they are significantly less frequent than problems regularly seen with subglandular or subfascial placement of implants: implant visibility, implant rippling, and higher rates of capsular contracture.  This is something you can discuss with your surgeon, who is likely to agree with what I said.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Areola Reduction (mastopexy) + Implant should be a nice solution for breasts like your photos demonstrate.

Thanks for your question.  The photos you presented show wide areolas, moderate breast droop, and lack of upper fullness.  There is mild difference between the two.  Your plan sounds reasonable and should give nice improvement.

The areolar mastopexy is also known as a peri-areolar mastopexy or doughnut mastopexy.  It is effective at reducing the areolar diameter and slightly lifting the nipple location.  It is not very effective, alone, at lifting the gland of the breast.  It works well in conjunction with a moderate augmentation.  Without an implant, this procedure tends to flatten the center of the breast.

Breast implants can improve the lack of upper breast fullness and central projection.  Large implants generally stretch the breast, and can interfere with your goal of having smaller areolas.  Consult an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon to determine the implant type and size that will work best for you.  More info at ExpertPlasticSurgeon.com 

Sutton Graham II, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon