Can saline implants have silicone inside of them too?

I'm supposed to have saline implants. Mentor smooth spectrum saline. I had them put in in 2001. Now I'm having terrible chest and back pain so my Dr ordered a catscan to check for blood clots in my lungs. They had already ruled out that I was having heart problems. The catscan showed my implants are calcified and ruptured outside of the capsules. I went to a new plastic surgeon who said he thought they looked like silicone implants. The MRI confirmed his thoughts. Could scans be wrong?

What kind of implant?

I'm not sure about which type of breast implant your MRI shows, but calcification is suggestive of long-term inflammation. If you have silicone, it will be noted on the MRI. I suggest you follow your doctor's recommendations and consider removing your breast implants and calcified capsule. This may not be the source of your chest discomfort. 

Silicone in Saline Implants

The shell of the saline implant is made of silicone although not the consistency of the silicone gel that is in a silicone implant.  It is important that you work closely with your doctor to determine the nature of your problems and the proper treatment.  No radiographic exam and no radiologist is free of error as there is a certain amount of false positive and false negative results with MRIs.  Generally, however, they are probably the best test available to evaluate breast implants and are recommended by the FDA for that purpose.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.   Saline breast implants do have silicone rubber and the shell and certainly can calcify with time.  However your MRI detection of silicone gel implants is most likely accurate.