My incisions are puffed up and red and my nipple is cracked and its color seems like it's fading (Photo)

I am almost 3 month post op. I put in (subpectoral , periareolar incision)375cc i was a size A and not even before surgery. My incisions are puffed up and red and my nipple is cracked and its color seems like its fading, is this normal? Will the puffness and hardness of my insicion go away? Should i do something?

Concerned about periareolar appearance

Hello, if it is only 3 months postop your scar appearance could improve significantly over time.  However, I would recommend discussing this with your plastic surgeon to ensure your scar treatment is optimized.  They may have specific suggestions to help your scars fade and soften.

My incisions are puffed up and red and my nipple is cracked and its color seems like it's fading

You are early in your post op period. Please give it several more months and check back with your surgeon.It appears to be healing well at this time.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Puffy incisions

Since you are only 3 months I would give it more time.The healing process can take 6 months to over  a year.Heat and massage will help.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Are my #breastaugmentation scars normal?

Hi Mandy, Thank you for sharing your question and photos.  The scarring and issues you mention are not uncommon.  However you would do well to schedule an in person exam with your operative surgeon.  You may benefit from a scar silicone sheeting product like BioCorneum (which we like as it's FDA cleared). Keep in mind scars can take twelve months to mature.  I hope this is helpful.
Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Irritated scars

Your scars seem to be healing reasonably well, Might benefit from silicone sheeting or solutions such as Biocornium. Time is your strongest ally as most scars do well eventually. If you have any concerns at all, see your plastic surgeon. They are best able to access what is happening and determine what should be done.

Peter D. Geldner, MD

Periareolar incision

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to have changes while healing. Usually time for scar maturation is 9-12 months.

Early changes in coloration and swelling are to be expected

Early changes in coloration and swelling are to be expected and both should get better with conservative management. 

Slow incision healing

In my experience, the red color and raised nature of these incisions can be helped by both laser with steroid application and broadband light. Ask your plastic surgeon about these modalities. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Slow healing circum areolar incisions could benefit from PRP injections to speed healing + Stem Cell also......

Incision appearance

Incisions mature and fade over 12 months. Contact your surgeon if they're not slowly improving or worsen at any time. Best of luck.