Plastic Surgeon or Dermatologist for Aquamid Removal?

I have received several cc's of Aquamid to correct severe acne scarringo ver the last five years. The material is amazing and permanent, but there are a couple of spots which have remained discolored, and I would prefer to remove the material. Would I see a dermatologist or a plastic surgeon?

Doctor Answers 2

Removal of Aquamid

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for the question.

Aquamid is a permanent, reversible injectable filler, making it truly unique among injectable fillers. In most instances, the product can be removed by needle aspiration. Either a qualified dermatologist or plastic surgeon familiar with injectable fillers should be able to assist you with.

Best of luck,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 30 reviews

Call around for individuals with experience injecting or removing Aquamid.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would highly recommend that you call and seek a physician who has had experience with this material. Given the lack of availability and pending FDA approval, this material is not currently distrubuted in the USA. I believe in this particular instance, experience with this product be the more important factor in making your choice for treatment.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.