Is Tx appropriate? When is a 2nd opinion necessary? How long for wound to heal? (Photo)

24 days post TT. Started as small opening at incision site & in 2wks grew to 1"+ deep & 6"+ long. Completed 2 antibiotics, clean/dress wound 2x/day. No smoke/drink: little activity, mostly bed bound. Recently stitches put in to prevent it from expanding. Do I just schedule an appt with a different surgeon or with my PCP for 2nd opinion? How long until a wound like this heals?

When is a second opinion needed?

Hello and thank you for your question. Unfortunately all of us plastic surgeon's get complications. If you feel that you have been given appropriate attention, treatment and answers then you should stay with your surgeon.  If not then by all means look around or ask your pcp for a recommendation. 

Your wounds look like they are granulation well and are clean. With conservative care they could heal in anywhere from 2 to 6 months from now.

When I have patients with wounds like this I usually suggest excising and closing them secondarily.  You are close to the point where that can be done.

Good luck. 

Peter Fisher M.D 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Is Tx appropriate? When is a 2nd opinion necessary? How long for wound to heal?

If possible - it would be helpful to see the wound immediately following closure. This type of wound separation is rare, but can occur. In the absence of major systemic signs and symptoms- local wound care is indicated. Once  the wound is healed- a scar revision may be useful.

Wound after tummy tuck surgery...

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing.    Sometimes these types of wounds do look worse before they begin to look better.

Very close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be in your best interests; sometimes removal of exposed sutures and/or removal of any unhealthy tissue will expedite healing.   

Wound care regimens will differ from one plastic surgeon to another. Generally, this will involve application of some type of sterile dressing.  Sometimes, for larger wounds, the use of a " vacuum assisted device" (VAC) may be very helpful. Also important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source.  

Whether or not to seek a second opinion depends mainly on how well experienced and attentive your plastic surgeon is.   Best wishes.

You need medical attention URGENT

After seen your pics, your scar looks some kind of infected. You need medical attention right away. It can get much worst. Call your Doctor and tell him your situation. You will need some surgeries to close the wound and antibiotics. 

If cant have comunication with your Surgeon go to Emergency.

Regards

Dr Hernandez Pizzoglio