Will liposuction of neck help jowls? (Photo)

Will liposuction of the neck help my jowls?

Neck liposuction to improve jowls?

Thank you for asking about your neck liposuction.

• Neck liposuction can reduce fat in the neck -
  • But it will not improve the jowls.
  • Liposuction of the jowls can reduce them but leave visible track marks.
  • Options for the neck and jowls include a neck lift with fat reduction, a face and neck lift, or for the neck only - Kybella injections to reduce fat.
  • And for the jowls, fillers or an implant to conceal the jowls.
  • You can decide what is best for you if you consult a plastic or facial plastic surgeon.
  • These are the only two specialities that do all of these treatments and can discuss your options instead of 'selling' you a treatment they offer that may not be best for you.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Liposuction of the neck and Jowls

Thanks for the question.  Based on your photo,  I would say that your jowls are mild in severity.  They are also accentuated by the fullness in your central neck area.  Liposuction will help with improvement of the jowls and jawline definition.  Laser liposuction will also help with some additional skin tightening that will improve your result.

Will liposuction of neck help jowls?

Neck lipo may help jowls but it is not predictable so I would not count on it. Other options are a filler injeciton in front of the jowl or a facelift. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Can Liposuction help Jowls?

It is difficult to give a full assessment based on the very cropped photograph. There is a little submental fat. Liposuction generally does not address the laxity of the skin around the jowls and in fact may make the skin appear looser. Again a specific assessment requires better photographic images.

Will Liposuction of the neck improve my jowls?

Thank you for your question.  Liposuction of your neck will not improve your jowls.  While you may be a good candidate for liposuction of your neck you might in fact need a lower facelift to help with your jowls.  It is hard to say based solely on you photo.  Skin laxity is a factor as to weather or not liposuction would be the answer for your neck. It would be best for you to have an in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to get an exam and see what your best alternatives are.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Liposuction and the "stringy neck syndrome"

Many doctors perform aggressive liposuction in the neck with cannulas, with the laser or with ultrasound technology.  This can lead to the 'stringy neck syndrome'.

Looseness of neck tissues can be caused by fat, by loose muscles, by descent of tissues from above (especially jowls), by glands, or by loose skin.

Removing fat does nothing for the muscle layer, and nothing for tissue descent.  

If aggressive liposuction, aggressive Ultherapy or aggressive laser liposuction is done in the neck, that layer that protects the muscles and glands and trachea from showing becomes too thin, and the neck appears aged and stringy.  I see this on an almost daily basis in my clinic.  

It is often a great idea to remove fat from the neck, just not too much fat.  That's why it's also a good idea to consult a surgeon who is skilled in all of these corrective methods, i.e. facelift, liposuction as well as minimally invasive treatments, not just in liposuction, when you are evaluating a double chin.  

Brent Moelleken, MD

Will lipo of neck help jowls.

Thank you for the question and the picture.    Liposuction of your neck will not improve your jowls.   Make an appointment to see a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Good Luck

Richard Rosenblum, MD
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Will liposuction of neck help jowls?

Liposuction of the neck probably will not help with jowls as they tend to be caused by a descent of the fat from the cheek. Facelift will work wonders, and if you are not ready, a filler or fat graft just below can improve the contour and delay a lift.

Shape & Contour-VASER liposuction, ThermiRF, Ultherapy for the neck and jowls

VASER Liposuction of the neck and jowls is fantastic for contouring and shaping, but I find that usually patients need face/neck lifting, ThermiRF, ultherapy and/or Sculptra in combination for best results. I recommend a formal consultation with an expert. Best, Dr Emer

Neck Liposuction

Thank you for your question.  Liposuction of the neck is an excellent way to help remove any excess fat of the submental area ('double chin'), and can also help better define the jawline in general.  Liposuction alone would not provide significant improvement of the jowls, as this is best addressed with a facelift.  Injectable fillers are another alternative to help blend the areas adjacent to the jowls in order to make them less noticeable.  Liposuction of the neck can be done comfortably under either local or general anesthesia, and would provide noticeable improvement in the contour of your neck.  Best of luck!

Benjamin Wood, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon