Is a tummy tuck the best option to get rid of my excess skin and belly? (Photos)

Is a tummy tuck the best option to get rid of my excess skin and belly?

A short scar tummy tuck would give you an excellent result.

Tummy tuck candidate

If your goal is removal of skin laxity, then yes you will need a tummy tuck.  However given the degree of skin laxity and the position of the umbilicus, depending on where the horizontal incision is made, you may also need a vertical incision. Be sure to discuss this ahead of time with your operating surgeon.

Good luck, Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck is the best the choice for you

I have extensive experience in body sculpting with liposuction techniques and with tummy tucks. The only way to address that extra skin around and above your belly button is to undergo a full tummy tuck. 

Justin Yovino, MD, FACS

Is a tummy tuck my best option to get rid of excess skin and belly?

Thank you for your question and photos. It all depends on what you desire for your final outcome to be. Without the benefit of a physical examination, and based on these photos only, you would get a great result with VASER Hi Def Liposuction. This needs to be done circumferentially including your back, waist and hips with the abdomen. What these pictures do not show, is how much muscle laxity you have (with the arms raised especially). A modified tummy tuck with a short low incision is another option, but your recovery will be longer. See a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in advanced body sculpting techniques for an in person consultation. Good luck.

There are a variety of tummy tucks that can produce a good cosmetic result in the appropriate patient: a mini tummy tuck, a modified with an umbilical float, or a variety of a full abdominoplasty, all of which may, or may not, include tightening of the muscle and liposuction. Generally if there is significant loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button), a full tummy tuck will result in a greater correction and better outcome.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this  or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Body Contouring: Information

Dear Ms Ddillard,

Thank you for your questions and photos.

To give you a exact answer it would require a examination of your abdomen and a discussion of your goals.

There are several options: 1) Radio frequency (RF) to shrink the skin only 2) liposuction + RF 3) abdominoplasty (removes excess skin/fat, tighten muscles with minor liposuction of flanks).

I suggest you make a appt. with a Bd. Cert. Plastic Surgeon who is ideally a member of the  Am. Soc. for Aesthestic Plastic Surgery, denoting by membership experience and focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery.

My best,

Robert. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  The belly button can be designed to look natural and have no scars on the exterior.   Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Tummy tuck?

I do believe a tummy tuck would work nicely for you. A tummy tuck will remove excess skin and stretchmarks. It will also tighten the muscles and reduce any "belly" after having kids. The recovery is about 2 weeks and pain can be better controlled via long lasting local anesthetics. Thanks for your question. Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The abdominal skin excision could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Liposuction could be performed to improve the contour of your flanks and hips at the time of tummy tuck surgery. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Based on your photographs, you seem to be a good candidate for coming tummy tuck surgery. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link and video, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.