Can an endoscopic browlift lower my hairline and remove forehead wrinkles? (Photo)

Hello doctors. I had a consult for upper eyelids and a browlift. The surgeon said he prefers to do an endoscopic browlift because the scar will be hidden. Does the endoscopic browlift remove forehead wrinkles? Can it lower the hairline a bit since my hairline on the right side is higher than the left side? If it does not lower the hairline can I have another procedure later to lower my hairline? Thanks.

Endoscopic browlifts do not alter your hairline

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

so if you want your forehead shortened, ask your surgeon about the subcutaneous browlift.  This will smooth your forehead of wrinkles as well since your forehead will be undermined completely.  The tricky part is getting your scar to as inconspicuous as possible so you can wear your hair pulled back.  If your surgeon won't listen to you, there are plenty of other surgeons that can do this for you.

Best brow lift to lower a receeding hairline

For many patients in the late thirties to late seventies, who are experiencing a tired or angry look in the upper face, a brow lift can give dramatic improvement with rather quick recovery times.  Although the endoscopic approach may have some advantages in terms of quicker recovery, the endoscopic brow lift is not the the choice if a lowered hairline is desired.  The best choice in this case is what is called a transfollicular brow lift with the incision placed just inside the hairline and beveled in such a way that the hair grows though the incision to further disguise it. With this approach, a beautiful shaping of the brow, smoothing of the forehead and lowering of a receding forehead are accomplished in a reliable procedure that can easily be performed comfortably without general anesthesia.

David Hartman, MD, FACS
Dover Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can an Endoscopic Brow Lift Lower My Hairline

An endoscopic brow lift will raise the hairline. We developed the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Incision technique many years ago to lift the brows and maintain or lower the hairline when necessary in patients like you. Hair will grow through and in front of the hairline to hide the incision. Please don't raise the hairline with the endoscopic procedure and then have a second operation to lower the hairline; do both at the same time with one operation.

A qualified yes.

After an experience of almost 3000 endobrow lifts, I can give you a qualified "yes", if done under the proper circumstances. I also have experience in hair transplantation, especially for women, and feel that your problem is different.

Forehead wrinkles are well treated by endoscopic brow lifting, but the mechanism is related to an agonist/antagonist relationship of muscles, best defined by Duchenne in 1852. So complete muscle releases need to be done of the agonist muscles; a partial release and "pull back" won't work for long, no matter the fixation.

One procedure is called a "biplanar" lift, and does leave a small 2 inch scar in the frontal hairline.  The biplanar lift has to be done by a surgeon skilled in the technique or a "Spock" look can result.  We can put hair follicles into the scar to hide it, if needed, but with the proper incision, the hair will grow through the scar. We can transplant hair follicles afterword, as well, if needed, also.  This is only if you are concerned about the right frontal hairline, which, I believe is not your chief problem

A "pretrichial lift", if done in the usual manner, is not a good idea for you (and is perhaps the worst idea for you), as, while it does pull the most frontal hair down, it pulls the hair in the temporal recession backwards, and you already have a temporal recession problem. You can make an entirely anterior pretrichial incision, extending downward in front of the temporal area (you have significant temporal "points"), but this leaves you an incredibly long scar.

Your frontal brow is not excessively high, so I think that you are more worried about your right sided temporal recession than moving your frontal hairline back 1-2mm. With a regular endoscopic brow lift and the proper temporal pull, you can avoid pulling the temporal area backwards.

Interestingly, you have "vellus" hairs in your right temporal area, and these might respond to some of the newer non-invasive hair treatments and become thicker in circumference again, mitigating some of your hair problem.

Gregory S. Keller, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Facial Plastic Surgeon

Forehead lift and Hairline lowering

An endoscopic browlift will not lower your hairline.  A browlift with an incision in the high forehead can lower the hairline and the scar can be reduced by having some of the hair grow through the incision area.  This type of browlift is very effective in raising the brow and reducing forehead wrinkles.  Best wishes.

David Alessi, MD

Can an endoscopic brow lift lower my hairline and remove forhead wrinkles?

No, an endoscopic brawl lift will actually raise the hairline. A coronal approach with the incision placed at the hairline can shorten the forehead by removal of excess bald skin when raising the eyebrows.

Endoscopic browlift lower hairline?

Endoscopic browlift will not lower your hairline; but direct anterior hairline approach will lower your hairline. 

Arian Mowlavi, MD, FACS

Can an endoscopic browlift lower my hairline and remove forehead wrinkles?

An endoscopic browlift will NOT lower the hairline. It will actually raise the hairline several millimeters in most cases.  A hairline or tricophytic browlift can raise and shape the brows as well as lower the hairline. The scar, when placed appropriately and repaired carefully, will be minimal. If you are wanting to lower your hairline consult with a surgeon familiar with "open" browlift techniques. Also. with regard to forehead lines, these will be improved but not eliminated with browlift surgery. Laser resurfacing or Botox treatments can improve those significantly. Best.

Endoscopic Browlift

Endoscopic brow lift is an effective means of raising and reshaping brows.  It can also soften but not eliminate forehead wrinkles due to the fact that your forehead muscle is no longer working overtime to raise your droopy eyelids.  It will not lower hairlines.  Yes as mentioned a hairline brow lift with forehead skin reduction can produce the beneficial effects of the endobrow with the added benefit of lowering your hairline.

Probably not both: Endoscopic brow lift

I think it may help with forehead wrinkles BUT it's more likely to raise the hairline.  Get a few more consults before proceeding.

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon