This appeared about 6 months ago on my back. About the size of a pencil eraser top. Should I be concerned?

Recently appeared lesion on the back.

Hi,
Looking at the photo, this looks quite innocent to me. However, there is the need to look, feel and analyse the diagnostic possibilities in the flesh, as it were, to be sure that the reassurance being suggested is appropriate. Any new or changing lesion is best assessed by an expert. If the clinical impression is confirmed as a benign lesion, the only treatment needed is reassurance. If the lesion is significantly symptomatic, I would advise a shave excision to both treat and confirm the diagnosis with the required histology pertinent to such a lesion. If there was any doubt about the diagnosis, a fuller excision would be appropriate with histology as before to confirm its nature. Further treatment can then be planned if needed. I am sure quite innocent, but get it confirmed by your local expert (could be your family doctor, if good at such lesion recognition, or your local dermatologist). Good luck!
Dr Mark

London Dermatologist

New mole on the back

From the appearance in the photograph your mole appears to be benign. However, whenever you have a new or changing mole to be safe, you should be carefully evaluated by a board certified dermatologist. Please use the ABCDE's as your guide for when to be concerned about moles: A for Asymmetry; B for Irregular Borders; C for Black or uneven Colors; D for diameter greater than a pencil eraser; and E for a growth that is Evolving or changing. If necessary, it is an extremely simple five minute procedure for a dermatologist to remove the mole using a "shave" biopsy which typically leaves a minimal scar. The mole can then be checked microscopically for reassurance.
You can follow the video link to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

From the photo it looks like a benign Nevus, but I would suggest having a dermatologist in your area evaluate and possibly biopsy.
best,
dr Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

New Mole

It is important to have a new mole examined especially if it has grown or changed in size and color.  I would suggest you find a board certified dermatologist to have the mole examined and sent to pathology for analysis.  Please let me know what happens.