Which Size and Type Chin Implant Should I Get? (Photos)

My doctor and I have settled on an Allergen Anatomical chin implant. I need length added to my chin and width. I am not sure if the Anatomical implant is best or if I should go with their Bilateral implant for more length / volume. Secondly, my doctor initially thought a medium would be best. I emphasized I want a very stront, masculine chin yet, I don't want to look like Herman Muster. Which size and type would you recommend based on my photos? I am also planning a a lower face /neck lift.

What size and type chin implant should I get?

The size and the type and shape of chin implants are usually determined at the time of the consultation and examination, since both the implants and the mandible are 3-dimensional structures.  In addition, some patients desire a larger augmentation, while other patients want a more  subtle augmentation.  Chin implants are manufactured in a large variety of sizes and shapes, and we use Implantech Silastic chin implants in our practice.  Most implants in our practice that we use are sized medium or small.  For diagrams of the chin implants in addition to many  before and after chin implant results, please see the video and the link below

Which Size and Type Chin Implant Should I Get?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers, facial implants (cheek, chin), liposuction and/or facelifts for over 30 years.  From the photos, your cheeks are very flat in the front, the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles and jowls are present.  These combine to create an elongated, rectangularly shaped face.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.  The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face.  This would be combined with liposuction to reduce the excess facial fat to further define the cheek shape.
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.  I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin is weak.  A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.   I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift.  The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last).  The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions and no incisions extend or are placed within the hair.
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery ( several days instead of weeks or months with the more invasive type facelifts mentioned)
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed from the face and neck
  • excess skin removed from the face and neck
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op

I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure.  When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.  Augmenting the skeletal structure of the face with facial implants (cheek implants, chin implants) should be done in a subtle but effective manner in order to avoid an "overdone" or "cartoonish" appearance.  This is were experience and sound aesthetic judgment come into play.

Hope this helps.

Selection of chin implant

Selection of implant is an interaction between patient and surgeon in our practice. Final decision is always patient's. We mostly use Implantech products which come in variety of styles and sizes. Square design is usually needed to produce strong, square, masculine chin. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Chin implant

Thank you for your pictures.  The extended anatomical implant that you are talking about will give you the look that you are looking for.  A bilateral implant will give you too much width while also giving you projection - leading to the "Herman Munster" look you do not want.  As far as size is concerned, medium sounds about right, but to be honest, I personally have all of the sizers both unsterile and sterile - that way we can size the right implant prior to the procedure, and double check intra-op if we need to adjust the sizes accordingly.  This makes things easier as then both the patient and I have a reference to discuss sizing and expected outcomes.  Best of luck! I hope some of this helps.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Should you get a chin implant?

Without an exam your question cannot be answered.  You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation